Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you 9 years ago? >

Where were you 9 years ago?

Where were you 9 years ago?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:12 AM

" had heard a news report about the rescue dogs in NYC and how they were being injured by stepping on broken glass and metal. Something inside me cried out to be able to do something to help them. I went to JoAnn Fabrics on Sunday afternoon and purchased some heavy canvas fabric and stayed up all night sewing booties for the dogs. I made over 150 of them. I decided to have my 8th grade students help me with them by trimming the seams and clipping the threads. I then got the idea that they could use markers to decorate the outside of the booties. Well, that idea led to the idea to get the entire school involved! We mailed them out the same day (Monday) to a police station close to Ground Zero. I included a letter with the booties that expressed our thoughts and prayers for the rescue workers. I never expected to receive any replies, but we did! I cherish those letters of gratitude and photographs of the rescue dogs and their handlers. They were so thankful for our gift. Because the booties were made of canvas and not a material that was stronger, they were never used, but they were kept by the volunteers as remembrances of the kindness of strangers. We had touched their lives in a way that we never intended, but we were so blessed to be able to express our feelings to them."

Never heard about this before, what a great way for you and your school to help out. May in Jersey
Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 AM

I was on jury duty. I was a title searcher for years and was going to search on break and review searches while waiting. During a break, I went to the Recorder of Deeds and called my husband to check in. They were watching it on TV, the first plane had hit and as we were talking, the second one hit. I told the people in the office and we all headed to the waiting area for the jurors. There was a TV there and they had it on and all were watching.

After the break, we all gathered in front of the court room, waiting to be let in. After 20 minutes, the judge's tipstaff came out and said the case had been settled and we were all released and thanked for our services.

I went back to my office, but was so consumed with so many feelings, I knew people who travelled from our area daily to NYC via the bus for work. Sadly- some did not return. I remember driving past the one parking lot and seeing a car covered in dust, it's owner had not returned after 9/11.

I remember Alan Jackson's song- where were you when the world stopped turning- it just spoke to my heart and still does.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Crying as I tried to convince my coworkers that what we saw was real. In my fourth grade classroom, telling my students about what was happening on TV. And having to explain to them that was not a movie. My principal insisted that we do this on the PA system.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
It was my last day at my job at the bridal shop. I took the kids to school and heard on the radio that a plane had hit the World Trade center. I was watching it all on TV when the second plane hit. When they announced it was an American airline plane, I panicked! My BIL is a flight attendent for American. He was on reserve for that flight but he didn't have to fly that day unless someone called in sick. He was not on the plane but safe at home. What a tragic day.
I told my kids that day, that sometime in their life, there would be a moment in time that they would see the world change and never be quite the same again. That moment for me was the day President Kenedy was shot. I was in third grade and it was the first time I was aware of the world outside my little community. I never forgot my teachers reaction when the news came. Then I told them that they would forever remember where they were and what they wer doing when they heard about 9/11. It was so hard to watch the constant news reports and hear of the endless tragedy.

I don't think a mosque should be built any where near the site. It is wrong to even consider it.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM

I was standing in the hallway of a Surgical Intensive Care Unit here in Kalamazoo. I was the nursing director of that department. We all went to the nearest TV to watch. When my pager announced the second tower was hit, and we could see it on TV, I immediately knew it was a terrorist attack. One of those "never forget" lifetime events. We must never forget.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

I had the day off work and was sewing. I used to listed to talk radio and that day for some strange reason I decided to listen to a book on CD instead. I had no idea until my son called frantic with the news. I lost a childhood friend in one of the towers :( His poor Mother lost her husband in a car accident, a son to cancer, and then Don in the WTC. I can't even imagine how that woman goes on but she does.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM

I was sleeping because I was working a late shift. When I got up I turned the tv on, (still half asleep) and all I saw was smoke/dust. I couldn't grasp what was going on! I thought it was a bombing in Iraq, Iran or Lebanon. It took several minutes to figure out what happened. I was teaching a new class that night and several people were impacted by the event. The very next day we had a bomb threat called in to my building (Corporate Headquarters for a satellite tv company). It was awful. The one thing I remember was the quiet after they stopped all flights. We live about 30 miles from the Denver airport. Every once in awhile we would hear an F-16 fly over. We survived Columbine just a few years previously. I think I had better stop thinking about this now...