Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you 9 years ago? >

Where were you 9 years ago?

Where were you 9 years ago?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I was at work. Some one came in and said a plane had crashed into the WTC. We all went into the breakroom and were there when the second plane hit. Everyone was crying. I called my kids and asked them to all come to my house that evening. I wanted us all together. We saw Air Force One heading to the air base in Omaha. Too close for me.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM

I was getting ready to go to work... when I saw the first plane hit. When they thought it might have been an accident. I had made it to work and everyone was around the TV in our conference room when the second plane hit. We all just sat there and watched the TV. NOt saying anything, the phones were not ringing, nothing. Just those horrible images. Around noon I told everyone I was leaving because I still had a birthday celebration to try and have that evening. My son was turning 20 years old, and I was going to try my hardest to make the evening a loving family celebration. We went out and had a nice supper, at a place that had no TV. It was nice to have a few minutes of not thinking about what had happened earlier in the day. My son was shaken up like everyone, but was glad that we still had time for him on that day. I told him that strong families will always stick together during times of tragedy, and it would never change the joy I felt on that day of his birth, or the thankfulness for him in our lives.
So tomorrow, I will once again be wishing him a Happy Birthday and remembering all those who were lost. Bitter sweet, to say the least.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM

I was at that time an employee (now retired)of American Airlines , and was on the phone when the first plane hit and as soon as I finished the call,I loged off the phone and went to our command center and told them what had just happened, and then went to where our CARE team (imergency incident group)they are the specialized team that cordinates and handels all the calls between family members and the air line employees assigned to take care of each family involved.Which I was very blessed to be part of for 14 yrs before I retired,and got on the phones again. The general public has no idea how close you get to all the family members ,as well as all the sisters and brothers(employees) because we were all feeling the same pain. And it is still there just as if it was yesterday.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I was at work, and the only TV was in my office. After the first day of everyone coming in and watching it over and over and over, I asked them to move the TV. It was the same shock every time it was replayed.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM

I was sitting in my husbands hospital room. He had taken a fall of 20ft and fractured his pelvic in 3 places. We sat in his room and watched the terrible events unfold. That was a day I will never forget. My thoughts and prayers still go out to all the family and friends of the ones lost on that horrific day.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM

It was about 1.30am here, and I was just hoping into bed. I was due to go into hospital the next day for the birth of my son, as he was a week overdue and I was being induced.

I will never forget that night. I had the TV on as I was hoping into bed when the newsflash came over saying what had happened, then i watched the live coverage until 5am, saw the second plane hit and i remember only too well the feeling of absolute horror and dread that came over me.

It is something that I will never forget as long as I live, nor the feelings and tears that went along with that night.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM

I was teaching a class of first graders. It was horribly hot in the classroom and the kids were very restless. We didn't know anything was wrong until lunch. We had no idea that there was more than one plane and that they were large airliners. I remember going home and watching it all on TV. I thought about how these terrible events would effect the children and what questions/fears they would have tomorrow. The school was near an air force base and every time a plane came over low and noisy some of the children would get worried.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 PM

I was trying to locate my brother, he worked in tower 2. It took us 2 days to find him. He survived but he's not the same. Unememployed and still devistated.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM

You know I'm a NYC girl. I was teaching in Long Island and watched the towers fall in school. My friend Patty stood next to me, knowing her brother was lost there. Another teacher lost her husband, several students their fathers. I could not get home to my girls until the next day. I'll never forget all the missing posters, the streets filled with soldiers, the terrible smell. The last funeral I attended was at St Patrick's Cathedral. The majesty and support of people for each other was very important. Growing up in NYC has made my children tolerant and appreciative of diversity. Terrorists can't take that away.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM

I was in my third grade classroom when I heard voices outside the door. I stepped out to hear a mom/helper tell the teacher next door that the World Trade Center and the Pentagon had been attacked! My son was working for the government in DC at the time. His building was directly across from the Pentagon. My heart sank! But shortly thereafter my husband called to say our DIL had called and our son was fine. He and his co-workers were stranded in DC (no trains out) and were watching the horror unfold at a local hotel lobby. Their building had been evacuated. During my lunch break, the teachers went to the office and watched the TV telling of the attacks. We did not mention anything to the children. We knew they'd hear all about it when they got home. The next day, the children could talk of nothing else! What a horrible day for our country! We will never forget it!