Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you 9 years ago? >

Where were you 9 years ago?

Where were you 9 years ago?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I was at home just starting my day at work. After getting Danny Lee settled in his play area while I worked. Then I heard over the radio, attacks were being planned at places around Dallas. So I went to my daughters school and took her out for the day. I thought if we were to get bombed or whatever we were to die as a family.
Two days later the young man who ran the corner store where I got gas every week. His family was from Iraq, he was born here. Some narrow minded jack*** beat him to death behind the store.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:32 PM

We had stopped for breakfast on our way to a family vacation. We couldn't decide to go on down to the beach or to go back home. We might as well have gone home, because we spent the entire time glued to the television. It made us call all of our family and neighbors as soon as we got there...just to check on them. I know that was crazy; they were living in GA and in FL, but I guess I just had to hear their voices.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I had just gotten out of the shower, and my husband had gotten in when the first broadcast about the first tower came across the radio. I was standing there listening in abject horror as the second one was hit, dripping on the carpet. Finished getting ready for work. School was cancelled that day and I took my kids to work with me...I only worked part of a day. We were all simply numb.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bettia
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
My husband works for one of the construction companies that are building the new towers and it amazes me at what is going in to them!
I am not saying this to make any one angry. It is just the truth.

LovingIzabella,
They are wanting to build a Mausoleum/Mosque not a museum.
Very big difference.
April,
It is NOT a hush, hush deal. Everyone knows about it and we need to get the word out there to STOP it from being built at that location!!!!!!
Izabella, I believe was talking about towers being built. I assumed the towers were a replacement, as if there ever could be, of the original ground zero WTC. As far as I know, they haven't made any public announcements of any plans.

Izabella, which towers are you talking about? At ground zero or new towers associated with the talked about mosque?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM

I was having coffee and watching TV when the news broke in I watch the second airplane hit. The news media could not believe what they had just seen. :-( So many lives lost My heart breaks for the families.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM

It was my last day at my job at the bridal shop. I took the kids to school and heard on the radio that a plane had hit the World Trade center. I was watching it all on TV when the second plane hit. When they announced it was an American airline plane, I panicked! My BIL is a flight attendent for American. He was on reserve for that flight but he didn't have to fly that day unless someone called in sick. He was not on the plane but safe at home. What a tragic day.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bettia
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Originally Posted by QBeth

April -
Have they FINALLY decided what to build at ground zero? I heard something about a museum being built under the site but haven't heard anything, pardon the expression, concrete about any buildings above ground. Can you fill in some details? Thanks.
It is a fairly hush hush deal but I will get as much information as I can and share it :-)
Hugs
April
I am not saying this to make any one angry. It is just the truth.

LovingIzabella,
They are wanting to build a Mausoleum/Mosque not a museum.
Very big difference.
April,
It is NOT a hush, hush deal. Everyone knows about it and we need to get the word out there to STOP it from being built at that location!!!!!!
NO NO not the Mosque (I do not agree with it for in my eyes it is a "victory" mosque and there are threats that if we do not allow it to be built there will be attacks on America??? I am going to stop here before I get myself going)

I was referring to the actual Tower sight (Ground Zero) and when speaking to hubby I found out that on the actual 16 acres that the original towers were on (the proposed mosque sight is 2 blocks from Ground Zero) they are building 4 towers with 2 fountain memorials where the original towers stood. There will also be a huge Path Hub underground for the subways and such.
A really cool thing too is that Tower 2 of the new buildings will have mirrors on top of it so that on 9/11 at the exact time the plane struck tower one it will reflect on the first memorial fountain and at the exact time of the second plane the other mirror will reflect on the second memorial fountain :-)
HUgs
April
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM

That's going to be awesome, April, thanks for a good thought on this night before the horror memories are so strong.

I won't even go into the way certain people are taking over our country and demanding 'rights' they have not earned....I won't go there, now.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
Did any of you ever wonder where all the airplanes that were in the air over the Atlantic when the American airspace was closed ended up? Here's where a lot of them went! For days and days.

http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm

We were at school, suffering through a janitors' and bus drivers' strike and one of my parents came in to pick up her Kindergarten child and said, "Dear God what a going on down there in New York." I went next door to visit my Mom during my lunch break and she (bless her heart) was sitting in her chair watching TV and sobbing. She couldn't cry tears but I could tell her heart was broken.
Yes, I remember seeing a documentary on this town. What a wonderful group of people.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM

I was coming home from the 'first run' on a school bus and as I walked in the door, Mom asked, "What's the World Trade Center?" I said, I've heard but I can't recall just now I've got to use the bathroom. Just as I tried to finish closing the door, a co-worker followed me home and a family member called her and told her to get to a TV. I live near the school so she'd followed me. She came through the door screeming, "what will happen to all the children when they have not parents coming home from work??" My dad suffered dementia and he started wringing his hands rocking, the phone rang and I wet my pants. About twenty minutes after, I was shocked with the cool breeze and spent the rest of the day crying. We went to school in order and on time but I was stunned. I don't think I conversed with anyone, just stunned. Watching evening news was hard, because I could not fanthomed, a son in Korea, my daughter and her family in Germany......I felt so lost. Actually, in his fog, my dad said, "I live a Christian life. I know where I am going." That ended my shock and we sent a check to Red Cross and I bought some beads and safety pins and made flag pins and sold them. The money was donated to a fund that a local elementary school raised to send to the Red Cross. Yellow ribbons were offered, baked goods was sold and I made my dad some little cards to hand out with John 3:16 on it because he, too, had a message. Sometimes the simple minds focus so clearly. It was a mad mad world, but my salve was my dad's faith which I so proudly hold to. God Bless America. Thank you for this moment.

Blessings,
Ruth

ps, As Moon Holiday expressed, "No one can remember that day without reliving the horror!" BUT, I bet a lot of new perspectives evolved!