Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you 9 years ago? >

Where were you 9 years ago?

Where were you 9 years ago?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM

I was on my way to a Women's Club meeting. I heard the news on the radio. When I got there someone said the Pentagon was hit. My son was stationed there on the staff of the Joint Chiefs. I drove back home in a daze. It was an hour before we heard he was OK. He's been in the Navy for 24 years, flying P-3s, and commanding Marines, helicopters and jets. He was in the Persian Gulf and in Afghanistan, and set up military rescue operations after Katrina, but that was the longest hour of my life.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Sitting in the basement of my old house in NH, probably working in Quicken, & watching my then 11-month old daughter play. I just happened to have the tv on down there, & they were reporting on the first plane, so I looked up. As I listened, & watched the 2nd plane hit, my heart was in my throat & I was sick to my stomach. My father teaches in CA all the time, flys out of Logan. I immediately called him, but couldn't get through on any of his numbers. Mom wasn't answering her phone either, so I was a miserable wreck, not knowing if my dad had been scheduled for a trip to LA or not. He didn't call me back for almost 5 hours (meetings, as it turned out) but I was so sick until I heard from him. I lost a classmate that day, too.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

I don't watch a lot of television during the day, I like the peace and quiet. My DH called me from work and told me to turn on the TV...at that point one plane had hit the WTC, I just couldn't believe it as I watched it all unfold. It was the eeriest feeling, like a nightmare.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM

I was in my office when my secretary ran in to tell me. I thought it was a small plane like the one that had hit the empire state building long ago. I called my husband and the horror began. There were so many funerals to attend.

Please don't forget the hero's who saved the lives of others and perished in that PA field.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM

I remember exactly where I was sitting-in a large auditorium A&P class. My professor came in and told us that a plane had hit one of the towers. We were dismissed and I went back to my apartment, called my mom and watched events unfold on television. Those first days seem so unreal. What a nightmare.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Did any of you ever wonder where all the airplanes that were in the air over the Atlantic when the American airspace was closed ended up? Here's where a lot of them went! For days and days.

http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm

We were at school, suffering through a janitors' and bus drivers' strike and one of my parents came in to pick up her Kindergarten child and said, "Dear God what a going on down there in New York." I went next door to visit my Mom during my lunch break and she (bless her heart) was sitting in her chair watching TV and sobbing. She couldn't cry tears but I could tell her heart was broken.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

I had just walked back to my dorm room from a cancelled class in PA, and when I got back to my room I turned the tv to catch the morning news and watched the plane hit the tower. Then I called my mom and dad to see if Dad was ok - he worked across the street from the towers. All the phone lines were cut and I couldn't get a hold of either of my parents for over 48 hours. So I hopped into my car and tried to cross into NJ (by the border of PA, NY and NJ) and all the bridges were locked down tight. I'd never seen so many armed men before.

When I did get through I found out that Dad was okay, he just had some minor smoke inhalation issues. That was one of the worst days and weeks of my life.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM

I was at home (in SoCal), getting ready for work. At that time I usually turned the TV on to catch the weather report...not that day. I just stood there staring at the TV, they replayed the first hit, then the 2nd plane went in. My Mom called me & asked what was happening. I had to go to work, but reassured her the best I could, as she was terrified that something was going to happen here.
At work, I kept checking the events on my computer & had my radio on - they had the TV in the showroom on, and really, we just cried all day long it seems like. Mom never really recovered from it.
I have not watched any of the movies or specials they've shown since then. It's all stuck in my head & I don't need any of their reminders.
God Bless America.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJs
My 82 year old mother called me in shock and asked me what was going on - so I turned on the tv in time to see the 2nd plane hit.
Why do WE (Americans) still feel we have to apologize for being ANGRY? Or why are we made to feel like we have to apologize. Why are Christians allowed to be 'open game' but everyone else gets 'offended'.....
Weird times...
That question has so come to mind with the mosque at Ground Zero hullabaloo. Anti-American rioting going on.
A few years back, when a NYC museum showed a painting of Christ on the cross with his feet in urine and the Blessed Mother covered in dung - we thought it disgusting - but no rioting and slaughter.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM

I was recoving from a horrific accident. My mom came running into my room (I was staying with her to recover) I will never ever forget that day. I screamed for her once the buildings fell she ran out of her room becuase she worked in a bank she had to go to work. We found out later that day that my cousin had a job interview in the cafe on top of one of the towers we had to waited 24 hours before she was able to call out her interview was at 10am thankfully she was ok.