Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you 9 years ago? >

Where were you 9 years ago?

Where were you 9 years ago?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJs
Why do WE (Americans) still feel we have to apologize for being ANGRY? Or why are we made to feel like we have to apologize. Why are Christians allowed to be 'open game' but everyone else gets 'offended'.....
Weird times...
That's is a GREAT question and I would love to know the answer.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM

I was on my way to the office with the class attendance report, a mother came screaming and crying into the office to take her child home. (She was from NYC I found out later) they brought her child to her and she ran from the building. Other parents were arriving to check their children out, I couldn't fathom what they were saying. I walked to the media room and went to the closet where we had the tv on the news constantly. I saw the second plane hit, too. We had to rely on one another to not let the children know what was happening....we had a lot of military children in our school. Three of our class children had parents at the Pentagon that day. They survived, thank God, but we didn't know for sure for days.

When President Kennedy was killed I was in science class as a sophmore in high school. Had just taken a test and the office came on to announce his death. They turned the radio on (we didn't have TVs in our classrooms then) and left it on untill the buses could get to the school to take us home.

It's hard to think on either day, truthfully. I don't hide from it needless to say and I DO celebrate the lives of those that survived the plane crashes. It's hard to think about it all without tears.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM

I was in Salem, Oregon -- getting ready for work when my mother called me. It was bittersweet for me...my DH had died 3 months before - 6/11/2001. I spent the day going into another office and watching on tv. Then I went camping with girlfriend that weekend and we staying in the RV watching the news all weekend. HORRIBLE!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
JJs
Banned

MzMcKee wrote:
I am American. I was born in the United States of America, I am proud to be an American. I am not Irish American, Italian American, Native American... I am American. And I am proud of what we as Americans have accomplished in our short young history.

Actually, I AM Irish, English, German, French, Welsh, Scots, Native American... but since that really sounds pretentious, and a real mouthful, I, also, just say, AMERICAN!... AND all my ancestors learned to speak the language of the land - which happened to be ENGLISH - (late 1600/early 1700 for all of them)

And I was in Journalism class when JFK was killed - he had been in Florida right before going to TX...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I was at my office desk in Groton MA on Sept. 11, 2001.
That day our town lost a beautiful young family of 3 (Peter and Sue Hanson and their beautiful 3-year-old daughter, Christine) who were heading to Disneyland and a visit with Sue's family. Peter was able to call his Dad (who lived in CT) twice before the plane hit the south tower.
No one can remember that day without reliving the horror!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 AM

I was getting up out of bed in San Diego Calif. It was between 5 and 5:30 am.
911 is the reason I now live in Virginia.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM

I was sitting in a hotel lobby 1/2 mile from the Pentagon and they locked us down for 24 hours. We couldn't use our cell phones and my family new where I was for a meeting but it was still a little scary. We finally were let go 9pm at night and I drove home 55 miles never saw another car on the highway. It was the eeriest feeling like I was alone in the world. One of our local quilters was on that plane.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

April -
Have they FINALLY decided what to build at ground zero? I heard something about a museum being built under the site but haven't heard anything, pardon the expression, concrete about any buildings above ground. Can you fill in some details? Thanks.
It is a fairly hush hush deal but I will get as much information as I can and share it :-)
Hugs
April
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM

At work bout four miles from NYC. You could see the smoke from the impact for days on end.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM

I was home here in NJ when my friend called me and said to turn on the TV. At first I thought a small plane had hit the tower but then the 2nd plane hit the other tower I knew there was something terrible going on. Stayed glued to TV all day, finally got through to DIL to check on my son who works in Manhattan but he was at working at Kennedy Airport that morning.

At that time I was a member of Alex Anderson's message board and we decided to make quilts for the families who lost a firemen, which was extended to families of police and emergeny workers. We had a contacts in the fire, police and Port Authortiy departments and delivered hundreds to quilts directly to fire houses in New York City, 1 Police Plaza in Manhattan, Captian in Charge at Port Authority in Jersey city who made sure the quilts were given to the families who lost someone in the towers, whether they were police, fire, emergency or staff members. My area lost many residents as many people in our area work in Manhattan. Remembering all that were lost in my prayers, May in Jersey