Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you let your housework go? >

Do you let your housework go?

Do you let your housework go?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Jut love love love Your answer!!! It's so so true!!! ;o)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 AM

I just spent 3 days of a vacation week cleaning and reorganizing the kitchen, giving the bathroom a thorough cleaning, dusting(which is often neglected) and cleaning the floors. I work full time and just don't have the energy to do more than cook dinner and clean the kitchen at night so any cleaning gets done on the weekend along with errands, cooking meals for the week, etc. I'm really beginning to resent cleaning the house because many times I don't even get to do any sewing before the weekend is over. Glenn is in charge of laundry and keeping the family room clean but the rest of the house is mine. Mind you my standards of cleaning aren't all that high but with 4 hairy hounds running through the house the fur tumbleweeds can be quite prolific by the end of the week. Floors have to be done every week or we'll be drowning in fur.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 AM

I have Merry Maids once a month an spot clean in between,which isnt much . but then its only me,sew who cares. joyce j
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 AM

I have theory to clean my house twice a year whether it needs it or not
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Next time I'm either getting a cat colored carpet or a carpet colored cat.
That really works. My last cat was mostly black and his fur you could see all over the place, the new cat is a siameze color and it blends in with the carpeting and everything. It's so nice.

I'm a horrible house keeper, I'm a perfectionist and when I start cleaning something, I notice something else that's bad, then that leads me to something else and before I know it I've cleaned for an hour and have nothing to show for it.

Now I try to do the flylady thing, the 15 minute fling and hot spots.

Right now my house is a complete mess. I was studying for a big certification exam and let everything go. I really need to just tackle the house. I tend to do a big house clean 1 or 2 times a year and the rest of the time keep the toilets clean and dishes washed, sweep the kitchen floor once a week and spot mop the floor. My next floor is not going to be white.

Last edited by charity-crafter; 08-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
! My 1st mother in law would come to my house and inspect and always try to find something to complain about. (Yes I was Young and Nieve!) ..
My inlaws came for an extended visit once, 6 weeks. We did a big clean before they arrived, like we were selling the house type clean. And then we were working full time and they were staying at home the entire time. After about 2 weeks, they started making comments about the cleanliness of the house and how I wasn't cleaning enough. I told them, "Your son and I clean up after ourselves. If the house is not clean enough for you, allow me to show you how the vaccuum cleaner works and here are the cleaning supplies. 3 days is a visit, longer then that you live here and need to contribute to the upkeep of the house." Needless to say they were not impressed.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
"Your son and I clean up after ourselves. If the house is not clean enough for you, allow me to show you how the vaccuum cleaner works and here are the cleaning supplies. 3 days is a visit, longer then that you live here and need to contribute to the upkeep of the house." Needless to say they were not impressed.
Good for you! I wish I'd had the gumption to say that. My attitude is "If you come to see me, wonderful. If you come to see my house, stay away."
Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 AM

Lisa, that is hilarious!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewmorethings View Post
I relate to your comment 100% and my husband is making comments lately about the house having fabric in every room and the house looks like it could use a cleaning. I told him i think it could too and since he dosen't have a hobby i told him clean it up, he didn't seem to like that comment......lol it is still a mess. I have to do the dishes and clean the kitchen every night, can't stand getting up to a dirty kitchen but that is the only think that really bothers me. I do a light weekly picking up and the bathrooms and vac once a week but don't clean like i used to, i would rather sew. I figure i spent enought years cleaning up after everybody and now there is just the 2 of us and i want to do my thing now.......
Exactly the same here - I think my DH started a hobby just so he doesn't have to clean!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 AM

You think keeping your house up while quilting is a problem now, just wait until you get older and slower like me. Just joking but there's a bit a truth in the statement. I just lowered my standards a bit and try to quilt and have a sort of neat looking home. Don't get that much company any longer (many friends and family have moved to warmer clients) and most company is family so they know there's always plenty of food to eat and tea to drink so they're happy. There is always stuff that needs to go upstairs so I hide it in large colorful shopping bags I picked up at Joann's and leave it on the stair landing. DH usually takes it upstairs and puts it in my sewing room and closes the door. What I don't see doesn't need attention, LOL.

PS: Always hated leaving a messy looking kitchen before going to bed but a dishwasher takes care of that, I run it late at night and DH usually empties it while he is waiting for the morning coffee to brew. Now that's team work, LOL!

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-16-2012 at 05:53 AM.