Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you like the climate/weather where you live? >

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM
kbs

We moved from MI to Ky and appreciate the winters down here. Also moved from city to rural and we like that too. We have four seasons but winter isn't that bad. Nice people.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Don't move to Arkansas for the weather. There's a lot of good things about this place, but weather is not one of them. We have hot humid summers, some cold rainy winters, we have about a week of spring and fall, the rest is pretty iffy. We also have tornadoes and a couple of ice storms most years. We do have wonderful lakes and rivers and a lot of other fun things. Many wonderful and generous people.
jean
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM

I like where I live three seasons of the year...but winter OMG awful and seems worse every year...I dont believe the global warming lol
Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Having lived in Southern California, Northern Virginia, Arizona and raised in Southwest Missouri, and traveled in all 50 states, I have now lived in Colorado for 50 years. I would not trade the weather and the beauty for anyplace else on the planet. Contrary to most belief, we have mild winters, usually mild summers, little or no insects (I'm highly allergic), no fleas to bother the pets and the humidity was 5% on Friday! Today I drove from home to Boulder, a mere 10 miles, and as usual was awestruck by the ever-changing magnificence of the mountains.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM

sandwich, it sounds wonderful. We have visited all over CO. and have enjoyed it from June thru Sept. Haven't been there in the winter.
jean
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
Again southwest Michigan....we do have snow from December (we hope for a white Christmas) through March. We live along Lake Michigan and get a heavy amount of "lake effect" snow---big giant flakes that do last. Other side of the state the snow melts and is a slushy mess. Our snow lasts and then you can go sledding or skiing or enjoy the beauty. My garden is doing well.....putting out tomatoes like crazy and other veggies.
In fall, the apple orchards call out to us....mmmm apple cider and doughnuts with the crisp leaves crunching under your feet as you walk. The gorgeous colors of fall are breathtaking. Some people don't like the winters with many gray sky days. Then they can stay inside. I love the snowman in the front yard and the beauty of it all. I agree---go and visit and then make your decision.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 AM

I like the weather where I am (N. Texas) although I'm having a tough time with it right now because of the drought conditions.

We tend to have warm winters and hot summers. The winters tend to be ice instead of snow. I can't really describe stuff anymore since the weather has been so odd.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
Originally Posted by BettyGee
Absolutely love it! Of all the places I've lived in my life, which includes the South Pacific, Colorado is wonderful. We have the seasons, our humidity is low so summers are great even in the 90s and while we may get dumped on with large amounts of snow the sun comes out and it is gone in two or three days. Almost no insects to contend with and having the mountains so close is a little bit of heaven. The people are friendly and down to earth; it is without a doubt the best place I've ever lived. We've been here 34 years and will never leave.
Sounds lovely!... Ya know, my maiden name is Gee...maybe we're related and I can come stay with you :)
You are most welcome to stop by. My last name is Grove so I just use the screen name "BettyGee." So although we're not related fellow quilters are always welcome.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Originally Posted by roselady
Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
Again southwest Michigan....we do have snow from December (we hope for a white Christmas) through March. We live along Lake Michigan and get a heavy amount of "lake effect" snow---big giant flakes that do last. Other side of the state the snow melts and is a slushy mess. Our snow lasts and then you can go sledding or skiing or enjoy the beauty. My garden is doing well.....putting out tomatoes like crazy and other veggies.
In fall, the apple orchards call out to us....mmmm apple cider and doughnuts with the crisp leaves crunching under your feet as you walk. The gorgeous colors of fall are breathtaking. Some people don't like the winters with many gray sky days. Then they can stay inside. I love the snowman in the front yard and the beauty of it all. I agree---go and visit and then make your decision.
Michigan is without a doubt one of the most beautiful states we have. I love the snow too, your description of the leaves and cider - yummy all the way.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Portland Oregon area is a great place.Not to mention you are also close to Sisters OR - great yearly quilt show!