do you PINterest? OR

Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Seems to me if someone pinned my work to it it would be a compliment. I don't really understand Pinterest but I wouldn't give access to my address book either. I did just see a couple of quilts from QB that I hadn't seen on the board.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM

LOL, none of mine are on there! I guess I should be insulted, but WOW! The ones that are... beautiful!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

I use Pinterest to post anything that I really like. I also post things I list on my Etsy shops there sometimes...they have a link on my Etsy page for Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter...gets exposure. You can post my things any time you want.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM

I have wasted too much time on Pinterest, I love it for recipes and ideas for crafts. I have a friend who is a very popular blogger and she loves it, its doubled the traffic to her site.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM

I just went and checked out the site. To my wondering eyes did I see, but a runner that I have for sale on a nother site. Couldn't believe it. How do they do that? And some one else's name under it.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by busygranny View Post
I just went and checked out the site. To my wondering eyes did I see, but a runner that I have for sale on a nother site. Couldn't believe it. How do they do that? And some one else's name under it.
Did you click on it to see if it redirected back to your site?

I just checked it out and it comes back to one of your posts on the QuiltingBoard. It's under the other person's name because she pinned it to her board. She must have really loved it... One of my quilts is on there too.

Last edited by virtualbernie; 05-16-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Seems to me if someone pinned my work to it it would be a compliment. I don't really understand Pinterest but I wouldn't give access to my address book either. I did just see a couple of quilts from QB that I hadn't seen on the board.
Would you mind if someone took your pinned work (photos)and used it for cards or other work without your permission? Some people are suing over that.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM

I use Pinterest to pin things that I like in different categories and have them all in one central location (which is the point of Pinterest, basically). All of you that post on Quilting Board know that it is a public forum, which is why we always say things like don't put up your address and personal info. because anyone can see it and make use of it. If you don't want someone to pin your quilt or runner or whatever because they like it, then don't post it. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to "google" or other search engines looking for a pattern, or a tutorial or an answer for a question and how many times it directs to a post right here on the quilting board...that is no different....and it's also no different that someone on here "bookmarking" and saving the item that you have shown....just my opinion....
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
Would you mind if someone took your pinned work (photos)and used it for cards or other work without your permission? Some people are suing over that.
Actually that could happen anytime/anywhere you post. all i have to do is right click and save. If you are that worried there are ways to put a watermark(?) on any photos you post so that it shows up across them.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
As well they should. That's copyright infringement, plain and simple. If you took the photo, you hold the copyright on it. Doesn't matter what the subject of the photo was. The photos are used for advertising Pinterest as well, so they are getting a financial gain from the work of people who often have no idea that it was pirated in the first place.

Remember the family Christmas photo that was posted on the web and showed up as a billboard ad along an interstate highway somewhere a couple years ago? Same kind of thing.

The idea of 'if you don't like it, don't post pics' is absurd. Most of the pics posted here were added long before Pinterest ever came into being. It's not so much a question of people copying the photos as much as it's a question of people making money as a result of copying them.

Last edited by ghostrider; 05-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.