Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you plant flowers, flower garden, in pots? >

Do you plant flowers, flower garden, in pots?

Do you plant flowers, flower garden, in pots?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM

I also have some family plants, hostas from the house where I grew up. I remember my grandfather planting them when I was a child, way back in the early 1940's. My DH calls them the DeGraw St. plants, after the street my family lived on. Through the years I've divided and replanted the hostas so many times that I can count. I've also given them to friends, so grandpa's plants are still alive and thriving. May in Jersey
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

In past years we have gone all out. A huge vegie garden and 8 flower beds. This year I'm on strike. My hubby fell off a semi and now is disabled. He still gets around, but after surgery on his back he has trouble getting up and down even with his cane. All the work came to me. I've been begging to shrink the size of the gardens, because of my health. Hes refused and bought loads of plants, which I couldn't see wasted, so I planted. This year....I've told him I just don't have the time with babysitting....I hope he listens cause I sure would hate to see wasted vegies in the garden like last year. I'm so done~keep it small or see it gone! lol I'm so mean!
~Bj~
Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE floweres, so I try to do both! Im in Wisconsin, so its still freezing at night here, but my tulips, and hyacynths are coming up.....and the lilacs are ready to open! My lilacs were little shoots I dug up from a friends yard 5 years ago, now they're fianlly really pretty! Havent put in annuals this year yet, but I dont have much money, so I probaly will plant mostly justs vegtables, and a few flowers as a splurge!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM

To those who want to plant in containers, I use washtubs and put some holes in the bottom. Things grow wonderfully in them. Of course, I use organic soil purchased in bags from Wal Mart. I have lots of raised beds also but if you only have a deck, try washtubs.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 AM

i find peace in my garden. i split some of my perinnials, and put them in pots on the deck ..then they go back into the ground for the winter.

i hope to buy about 2 flats of annuals. one for full sun and one for partial sun,end of may.

i did some seeds last year, and they turned out great!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 PM

[, a couple of sad looking hostas in front of the front porch, Maybe see if I can save the sad Hostas. Lots to do, it will probably take a few years to get it the way I want. But hopefully, I'll have some veggies this summer![/quote]

Dig up the hosta and amend the soil in the hole with lots of composted soil, cut the hosta roots in half with a sharp knife of edge of shovel. Do not plant them to deep, water well after replanting and they should be good to go.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM

I have a number of flower beds, we sort of have names for them, the shade garden, down on the left side under a few trees, then a path and a bed along the fence line. On the right, beds on both sides of the path, one in front of the andirondiak (sp) chairs, one the bistro table, two in front of in on either side of the path. Then the front :lol: :lol:
I also dig up and use them in containers for the patio and fence. I love to put hostas in containers too. Ai last count (a couple of years ago), I have about 2 dozen different types of hostas. :lol: