Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you remember when..?  Test >

Do you remember when..? Test

Do you remember when..? Test

Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM

I remember them all..we lived on a farm in East Texas..didn't know what pizza was or spaghetti...shrimp..or any seafood except fish..mostly ate what Mom canned from the garden and killed a hog in the winter and had chicken on Sunday if we were lucky...I tried my first pizza with my DH before we were married...I thought who would eat something like that..and to this day..I don't like pizza..I had never eaten a broiled steak..rice with gravy..our rice was with butter and sugar..and I was 15 when my mom married my stepfather..she had been divorced for 6 years..and he had an inside bathroom, a tv..piano and a set of encyclopedias...and we got to eat sliced bread from the store..and we thought...Lord we are rich now...great memories...and I will be a young 71..Aug 3rd...
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM

I needed to call the dr. to tell him I thought I was in labor. We had a party line that when the other half was talking to her mom you couldn't get them to hang up. After 15 min. of trying I finally told them I needed to call the dr. or they could come over and deliver the baby. They hung fast. Good thing they did I delivered 1/2 hr. after getting to the hospital, and we only lived 4 blocks from the hosp.. LOL I also remember all the numbers.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Yep, and I never had heard of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. Not in my neighborhood anyway. when Soda's went up to six cents I thought my world had ended. I had to find another penny!!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM

I'm older then dirt and remember them all except butch wax......what is it
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
I'm older then dirt and remember them all except butch wax......what is it
I'm pretty sure it was what the guys used in their hair to make it stand up ~ 'Butch cuts'
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

yep, older than dirt here! thanks for the memories
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM

I wish I could be around when the youth of today gets to be my age. I can just see the little old ladies shuffling around with the big boobs, the face of a Barbie and lips like ballons. Those will be the days!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, I'm older than dirt and that's Ok. I still have respect for others and actually can make a bicycle go faster if I only have to use the coaster brake.. Another thing, we could get on our bikes and go nearly a mile down the road and out of our parents sight but they always knew where we were. The neighbors told them. Everyone looked out for each other. If we road our bikes down the sidewalk and some one was coming down the same sidewalk, we either rode it out into the street or got off and let them pass by. Those were the good "ole" days!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

We also knew more about recycling than they do today. We used to turn soda bottles and beer bottles back in and got a deposit to go toward the next 6 pack or case. We really didn't know that much about a landfill because material was turned into quilts and we had a burn pile or burn barrel that was surrounded in a small open lot of nothing but dirt, no grass or weeds. It all got burned. Clothes were passed onto another member of the family whether it be sister, brother or cousin. That is how many quilts came to be. People appreciated handmade more than some one who just slapped a few bucks down. Anything handmade, whether it be knitted, crocheted, or quilted or sewn was gloated over like a newborn babe by men and women both. Those were the good "ole" days. Any utensils or tools for any use that were passed on were cherished by both men and women and they were proud to be the conservators of the piece. They always had a place where they were displayed with pride.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Loved reading and remembering all of them. I guess I am older than dirt. My DH and I were talking about hand signals just yesterday. He is six years older than dirt than I am. lol Thanks for the fun memories.