Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you remember when..?  Test >

Do you remember when..? Test

Do you remember when..? Test

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Old as Dirt too... I remember most of them 1st hand. And we had so much fun playing outside until the street lights came on.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 AM

I'm only 56 and I remember most of them! Some of the best memories of those days!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 AM

oh boy am I older than dirt also. my husband and I both got them all and then some. I loved the clove gum also. how many of you remember. lye soap that your mom and grandma made to wash clothes and bodies with, the big black kettle in the backyard they heated water in over a fire to wash clothes, the washboard was their agitator to scrub the clothes clean. the pot belly stove in the middle of the room as the source of heat, the sink to wash dishes in was a enamel wash pan you filled with water from a well that had the bucket and rope so you could haul the water up from the well. there are many more childhood memories that drew families closer together for all worked together and spent more time together than we do these days. thanks for reminding me of days gone by. there were many precious memories.jan
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM

Yes, I am old but I have good memories. Perhaps later I will not remember my memories! Tee-Hee. On the other hand my children have memories of Teen-Age Ninga Turtles, leg warmers, poof bangs, big shirts, grunge dressing, preppy dressing, alligators on shirts, kangaroo tennis shoes with zippers and on and on. We cherish our memories and I am just beginning to hear my children remembering and cherishing their memories. The generations move on with their own special remembered treasures.

I also remember war protests, Viet Nam, peasant dresses, and bra burning. I can't watch a Viet Nam movie, I still find peasant dresses comfortable and I never burned my bra. Tee-Hee!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 AM

I only remember "all" of them. We did have a fast food place in Louisville when I was small. White Castle Hamburgers. I can remember eating there twice as a child. After all they were 10 cents apiece. The one thing I did not see listed was indoor plumbing. I did not get that until I was 18. I will be 71 next month. Didn't realize this was older than dirt, but it is nice to know.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 AM

Well I'm definitely "Older than Dirt" because I remember all of them. Will turn 69 in Sept. so you can see I'm "Older than Dirt". I remember when we got our first refrig. before only had a ice box. All of the ice was purchased at the Ice House in town. It was really quite neate to be able to make your own ice in the trays.
How about going to the movies for 12 cents and if we had 25 cents we could get in to the movie, buy box of popcorn, and a coke to boot.When the price changed to 25 cents to get in we thought our world had caved in. Boy have times ever changed.
We always walked to and from school as well unless the weather was really bad, then Mother would take us. We usualy came home for lunch, and if we did eat in the school Cafeteria, it was 25 cents a tray with as many helpings as you wanted. There were NO Free or reduced lunches then.
I definitely remember the wringer washers, I got my thumb and hand caught up a couple of times in the wringers. We didn't have a T.V. until 1959, then only b/w and 3 channels. We always listened to the radio. We did have a Dairy Mart in town for Hamburgers and fries, but that was a special treat. We almost always ate at home- can't remember going out to restraunts unles we were traveling on a trip, then often had sandwiches in the car, that Mother made to take with us, would occasionally stop at a Hamburger place if there was one available.
I had never eaten a pizza until I was in college, and had never really heard of one until we moved from Tx. to W. Va. in the late 60's. Now Pizza and fast food places are a way of life for most.
So many memories. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Gerbie; 07-17-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM

Im 73 and remember all of them.
No school buses, had to walk over a mile to school.
Push lawn mowers only.
Sat matinees all day,cartoons and two movies.
Dr Pepper in bottles had alot of fizz.
Did homework while listening to the radio shows, no TV

Last edited by Rose Marie; 07-17-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I remember them all!!!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 AM

Yep, I remember them all!

Have you seen that some autos now have ignition buttons on the dash? Took designers all these years to realize it was a good thing!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Yep! I'm right along with the rest of you. I remember them all & truly miss those days. I still run onto Clove & Black Jack gum now & then & always buy some when I do. Great memories.