Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you remember when..?  Test >
  • Do you remember when..? Test

• Do you remember when..? Test

Old 07-18-2013, 04:11 AM
    Power Poster

Milk was not homogenized - the cream rose to the top.
    Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 AM

I'd love to have that glass bottle with the shaker top!

Nan
    Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

My ice maker broke and I filled a metal ice tray with water to freeze. My grandaughter thought it was the coolest thing ever when she pulled the lever to crack the ice. Of course she had to take a picture and post it on facebook of the whole experience. LOLOLOL
    Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Yep, I'm older than dirt, I remember all of those. They are good memories. I used to love wash day when I could help my mother wash clothes in the wringer wash tub and then hang all of the clothes on a clothes line. And of course after they were dry we would sprinkle the clothes that were to be ironed and roll them up to be ironed later. My mom and dad would pile all 5 of us kids in our car (which was not a big car) and take us to the drive-in. Always took a few big bags of popcorn because we couldn't afford to buy it at the movies. I think it is neat that my two grown granddaughters like to go to the drive-in here .
    Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Well, guess I'm old as dirt also. I remember all of them except the 'Ice Box", don't know if we had one when I was a baby, but I do remember the ice factory in town. I wish that I had the wringer washer now instead of my "high efficient" washer that doesn't even get the clothes completely wet sometimes, much less clean. I miss the simpler times.
    Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Yes I must fess up ... I remember most of them!

Re #4 .... how about the pop coolers with water in them?
    Insert your $, and then you slid one bottle out from the bars holding them in place, so that only one could go out at a time. Each row had a different flavour.

Now that was "fun" and a special treat for us as we rarely were allowed pop.

I still have an old RC drink machine like you are referring to. It was in our family business that was started in the 1940's. yes, it still works!
    Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 AM

I belong to the older than dirt club -- but some of what I remember camd from my grandmothers' homes.

I remember the outhouse that you had to go through the chicken yard to use (I got a tick in an uncomfortable place on one trip). The rooster made the trip eventful since he hated to have his territory disturbed at night. Grandma had indoor plumbing -- it was a pump in the kitchen sink. She had a quilt frame suspended from her living room ceiling. Her washing "machine" was a big pan and a washboard.

My other grandmother had 2 stoves -- an electric on the main floor and a flat topped wood stove in the basement. She had a wringer washer in the basement -- her irons were warmed on the stove (I had a real, child-size electric iron and did the pillowcases -- and yes I got a couple of burns but I learned to respect hot things). She canned and baked using the wood stove -- she would put her hand in the oven to see if it was hot enough. All white clothes were boiled on top of that stove in a big pot. Her back yard was all garden and we ate what she grew.

I enjoyed watching and learning from her -- boy have things changed.
    Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Yes I remember them too. And summer was canning season. Grandma also strung beans on a string and hung them from the porch roof to dry. Don't know how they kept from rotting but later on in the winter she would give us a paper bad of them and mom would cook them. Had a good taste. We had indoor plumbing but neither of my grandmothers did. One had a well and the other carried water from a spring.

The other day I was waiting while my husband was putting gas in our 17 year old vehicle. It was getting very hot inside the car when I noticed something on the door. It was a handle with a knob on it. And amazingly as I turned that handle the car window went down and let in fresh air. I thought "Wow!" they should put these amazing gadgets on new cars. ;-)
    Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Really love this post. My husband and I got them all so I guess we're both older than dirt! This brought back so many memories and we have been sitting here exchanging stories of when we were growing up. The wringer washer especially hit home. I remember washing all of our clothes and the baby diapers in that machine and then hanging them all out on the line to dry. The sheets and towels always smelled so good when we brought them in. And the metal pants stretchers that we put the levi's on would make creases so they didn't have to be ironed...because you ironed everything back then, especially handkerchiefs (because we didn't use store bought tissue back then). Thanks for the memories.
    Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
    Power Poster

guess im older than dirt i remebered most of them the good old days!!!!!