Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Trust Your Pet Around Food? >

Do You Trust Your Pet Around Food?

Do You Trust Your Pet Around Food?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM

My Charlie (Avatar)was known to eat whole roasts and chickens that were left on the counter - his only vice! He also ate a remote control when he was pup. Don't think it tasted very good but must have had a good crunch.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I trust my dog to eat whatever she can snag. So yes, I do trust my dog, unfortunately do do the "wrong" thing. lol
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM

I would NEVER trust any of my dogs.
And it's not just food, they love plastic, and we call toilet paper - filler food.

Having basenjis when the kids were little taught them to pick up their stuff!

In fact I remember taking one to a show and took her to potty before our ring time. She had eaten a Barbie hand because one was crawling out of her!

I always knew if they were not eating, they were sick. Or full
Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM

My Abs was a potato chip freak-she just KNEW that the bag of chips were bought just for her. I could leave meat, cheese any and all groceries in the car with either dog (Cyn-the brown dog is a kelpie cross and Abs was a lab-we lost her in July) or both and they never got into things--but with chips, Abs would take the bag out of the sack and lay it on the front car seat for me to open and then hang her head over until I fed her chips. She never opened the bag herself, but made sure I knew that was my job and I needed to do it NOW!! Mom!! She had been good and waited int he car and now wanted her reward!! Loved that dog and miss her terribly.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM

NO!!! Libby, the ten-year-old beagle is the reason we ALWAYS push the chairs up to the table... she will jump up looking for anything. We don't usually leave food on the table, of course, but she'll just go exploring if she can find a way to get up there! I was watering in the back yard a few months ago and looked in the kitchen window to see her looking at me from on top of the table! She knew she was in trouble when I headed for the door! And Mia, the two-year-old yellow Lab recently ate 10 of 12 muffins I'd put on the counter to cool. I'd made them for our Sunday School class, then went upstairs to dress. When I came back downstairs there were dusty paw prints on the counter and only 2 muffins left... well, really only 1 1/2 muffins... she'd taken the top off the 11th muffin... sheesh....
Oh and there was the time my DH had picked up one of those roasted chickens... put it on the table and absent-mindedly went to do something else... yep... Libby was finishing it off when he got back into the kitchen. (I was off on a teacher-trip that time...) Oh he was not happy.... but all that said... I still love 'em!!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Oh... and a friend's lab pup (she was almost a year old) ate some bread dough that hadn't cooked correctly... her owners had thrown it in the trash in the garage without thinking... it made her pretty sick, judging by the mess she produced... the vet said to just watch her closely... but after all the vomiting and pooping subsided, there was enough fermented dough in her belly, she was drunker than, well, you know... DRUNK!!! She recovered nicely of course, but it was quite a mess!!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM

We can trust all our dogs with our food, we are pretty lucky that we can, but we can leave a plate of the coffee table and walk away and it is always there when we return.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL nah .. wouldn't trust any furbaby .. We just had a foster Great Dane over while Gus was being transported to his forever home (Special needs dane-Deaf) and he would stand there and clear our counters with one swoop. LOL good thing I don't keep much on my counters (DD couldn't apologize enough for Gus .. Oh heavens .. no apology needed-Gus stood as tall as the counters and could see over the counters .. Geez.. LOL ).
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
My Charlie (Avatar)was known to eat whole roasts and chickens that were left on the counter - his only vice! He also ate a remote control when he was pup. Don't think it tasted very good but must have had a good crunch.
I also forgot to mention that she ate three pair of glasses and my husband's hearing aid. Getting a bit serious, we bought Bess a couple of raw beef bones when she was just teething. She is going to be 11 and she still chews on them, She has worn teeth grooves into them, but they do keep her out of some trouble. She gnaws on them when she gets agitated. Edie
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Our little girls are pretty good. We have left food and they have not bothered it. But...also like kyded, we leave the food down for them 24/7. If they are hungry they go and eat. They are not over weight in any way either. However they do know that after we eat dinner, there is usually a small sampling of dinner for them. I guess its a small dinner treat. And thanks everyone for sharing your stories, they have been very entertaining with my coffee this morning.