Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do You Trust Your Pet Around Food?

I wouldn't trust ME with leftovers My dogs have better self control than I do

I'll never forget the day Glenn had just finished bringing the groceries in and had several bags on the kitchen floor. We have a system-I shop and he carries the bags in and puts everything away. We were standing in the kitchen and since he left the kitchen gate open Huggie Bear(my avatar) and Gracie Allen were also in the kitchen. I happened to hear rustling and looked to see Huggie Bear showing interest in the package of pork chops-then I saw that a pork chop was missing. Glenn and I simply couldn't believe she stole a pork chop and ate it while we were standing there. It seemed impossible that she could have devoured it that quickly. I scolded her and shooed her out of the kitchen. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Gracie Allen gobbling down the missing pork chop as fast as she could. To this day Huggie Bear still believes that after having been falsely accused I should have given her a pork chop. Nope-food is definitely NOT safe around the hounds.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Yes I can trust our pom. She " LOOKS" like she is on the heavy side but she is a light weight with lots and lots of fur. She really won't eat unless she is hand fed and I know we spoiled her because the first vet we took her to for a puppy check said we should put her down because she had a heart condition. She is 5 now and runs the house. Eats when hand fed and praised for doing that, only goes to the bathroom if someone is there to watch and praise her. Eating anything left out, no way there would be no one to tell her how great she is.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

well dh learned not to trust my german shepherd yesterday... he had his deer hanging in the yard (he picked it up off the road, but that is a story for another day) while he worked, and after the kids went to bed he went to start butchering and realized she had been snacking on the hind end all day. she got most of one of the hind legs, and a few bites off the other. I found it fairly entertaining, but the poor thing has horrific gas right now and she sits under my desk all day.

in our early married days we had a great dane that cleared off the entire counter of christmas cookies while we were out, we were young and dumb.

My Yorkies, Booger and Wookie Doodle and my Pomeranian are absolutely not trustworthy around food. Even if they don't like it and ultimately won't eat what they sample, they just have to taste it.I wouldn't take a million dollars for any them! froggyintexas

I don't trust them any more than I do my husband. Put a note on it don't eat and he does...really messed up my bake sale contribution! My cat will drink my ice tea and loves sweets...so no, I don't trust my pets around food

I could NEVER trust either of my Westie with any food that they could grab, run and hide !!! Even if I was filling up with gas, I had to watch them carefully or the loaf of bread would be GONE IN 60 SECONDS !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

my granddog is an eating machine. she has no sense of control, and is one of those dogs who would eat until she burst if she could. she is smart enough to have learned on her own that certain containers have edible contents, and will make the most of it. we've had our own dogs in the past (one border collie mix, later, a border collie) who both had brief careers as food thieves. they, however, were smart enough to learn the NO command, and abide by it. they could be trusted after they were taught. now, the grand dog? nope. she just gets sneakier and more creative. we even have to hide our cat's food when she comes over to visit. can't stay mad at her, though--she has a terribly engaging smile...
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    I would never leave my dog or any dog in the car by himself!!
    I know of someone who left their basenji in the car, and then paid $600 to get 2 new seatbelts
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Our female Maine Coon will eat any bread/muffin et. If it's left on the counter. Also soft vitamin capsules! The male, Rocky has been caught licking the butter, any meat that is waiting to be cooked or while we're eating he will check out what we left on the counter! If nothing else, it keeps me consistant about keeping stuff put away. On the othr hand, sometimes I don't have to wash the frying pan because it's been licked clean! Just kidding! Lol
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    I just love all these fur babies stories.
    TwandasMom

Feather babies are also notorious for chomping down anything and everything they can get their beaks into...

Kiki, my Senegal parrot, will try anything at least once. If there's food around, she's at it. Gets quite annoyed at me if I'm eating something and don't at least offer her a taste, too.

In the cage she goes when I unload groceries... lol

Blog Entries
    We left the dogs overnight. They have a dog feeder , multiple water bowls and dog door and a good meal before we left . Came back to a torn open bag of dog food with much of it spilled on the floor. Resounding answer, NO WAY, NO HOW!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    I have three cats, forgot one of them did chew a hole in a large bag of dry food!! I still don't know which one it was.

Blog Entries
    I was eating a donut and driving one day. Maya, the shepherd, was riding shotgun. I have about 1/2 the donut gone when Maya casually reaches over and takes the other 1/2 donut out of my hand and proceeds to eat it. I was hopping mad but realized she'd probably seen the puppy do the same thing and just learned. Our puppy is lab/eating machine mix and eats anything that doesn't eat her first. I don't trust that one with food nor do I trust Maya anymore since we've gotten the puppy.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Glenn works weird hours and the only window we have together on work days is between 5 & 7 for dinner. So I indulge him and we eat at the coffee table and watch TV. Huggie Bear is 11 1/2 now but quite smart and very ornery. The hounds are usually laying in close proximity while we eat knowing a bite will be saved for them to have after we're done. They don't beg or pester us while we eat. Anyway, one night we were having duck breast, a rare treat. I had had 2 bites of my duck when all of a sudden Huggie Bear rises up like the worlds most adorable red and white land shark and snatches my duck off my plate. I was so shocked I just sat there. It had been years since any of the hounds had done something like this. Huggie Bear quickly turned her back to me and scarfed down the duck as fast as she could. She REALLY wanted that duck-it is a favorite of hers.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Blog Entries
    I purchased at midday two sets of sandwiches. One for midday and one for either evening or tomorrow. Definately had mid day set. Came home had a workout on compute and emptying bag etc. can't find my other sandwich . No idea where it went can't find the paper either. Which dog , the eldest , no on a table too high for her to reach. Middle dog no was with me all the time . The puppy oh yes I bet she has had it and hidden the paper in middle dogs basket. She is full of fun and mischievous.but so cute.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Lily, a Siberian mix, and Moira, a Border Collie mix, won't touch anything unless I tell them to 'Get it'. Even meat dropped on the floor is safe. That applies if I am anywhere in the house. All bets are off with Lily if I leave the house. Raw food thawing for their dinner - at least she had the courtesy to serve Moira. There was an empty plastic on each bed. Stick of butter. A loaf of thawing bread dough. That initiated a phone call to the emergency vet. I had to make her vomit before it raised in her stomach - he said it would be fatal. Hint - if you have give a dog hydrogen peroxide, do it outside. While on walks, Moira looks for bread people put out for the squirrels which is bad because she gets ear infections if she get a smidgeon of bread with yeast.

So, I have two answers - yes, I trust my dogs if I'm in the house and no if I'm not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3