Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You Trust Your Pet Around Food?

My Dog Cookie can't reach anything. If dining chairs are not pushed in she could/would get up on the table. We don't leave food on the table.
    I have a grey/black/white male cat that will/has gotten on anything. I took him in and think he might have been given leftovers.
    Years ago I had a tricolor female cat that loved powered and/or glazed donuts. She would steal them. Years ago I had a male black cat that loved pumpkin pie. They would get anywhere to get them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I would never leave my dog or any dog in the car by himself!!
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    My miniature Schnauzer got a bowl of gravy I had sitting back on the counter next to the wall. He was all bloated and had to be walked to get rid of the gas. He also got smoked fish off the counter, ate them all and left a pile of bones. Have no idea how he got stuff off the counter as he was so small. He also went right through the screen on patio door when he wanted out. He liked to chew up Kleenex and toilet paper.
    Our rat terrier would push the chairs back to get on the table and jump to my kitchen island looking for food. He also ate cotton balls with sea breeze. Vet said make him throw up with hydrogen peroxide. He threw up 4 that he could not pass. If he got in the bathroom he would keep jumping and hitting the toilet paper until he unrolled it. My girlfriend called him the devil dog from hell because he got into so much. My husband thought he was really smart and bored. Our vet was always what did he do now? He chewed on the shift ball in my car while I went in to pay for gas.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    No way can I trust my dogs around any kind of food! I also won't eat at anyone's house who has cats. Will not eat on any surface knowing their butts and feet have been in a litter box. People laugh at me because before every meal, no matter what, I wash off the table. I have been known to take wipes and wipe off tables at restaurants. Hate sitting at a sticky restaurant table.

Blog Entries
    My little chihuahua will eat anything that doesn't eat her first. She particularly loves carrots, potatoes, turnips and my coffee if I forget and leave my cup on the table beside my chair. She can be sound asleep but as soon as I get up & walk away I hear her feet hit the floor and then I hear the drinking. She was a stray when my gdtr & friend found her and begged me to take her in. She was skin & bones but now she's up to 8 lbs.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    First things first. Since when can you go into Joannes and be out in 20 minutes? LOL
    We have a rescue dog that is 12, only with us for 1. He gets into the garbage if we don't put it up. I came home from grocery store with a bag full of stuff to make sandwiches for the house full I had visiting. When I went to lay out the food, the pound of salami was not there. Oh, silly me. I thought I must have left a bag at the store. So I called up there. No, it wasn't there. She remembered me and remembered the salami; she was sure it was in the bag. Low and behold, I found the empty plastic wrap next to the dogs bed. A whole pound of salami gone! He got diareah, too. We are much more careful now. DH gets upset, but I just remind him that we have no idea what his first 11 years were like. Best dog ever, in spite of this "little" quirk.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I had a wonderful dog for ten years. She was perfect!! She was MY dog. I could leave her in the car with groceries for a little bit and she never touched anything. Well……this evening DH & I went to eat for Veteran's Day. We had HIS dog, Molly, with us, who is wilder than a March hare! I had some left overs so I put them on the floor of the front seat and DH & I went to Jo Ann's (who had an awesome sale today). When we got back out to the car about 20 minutes later, my left overs were gone!!! I had forgotten we can't trust Molly, where we used to be able to trust Ellie!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

No. Just no.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    My cat Bruno won't touch a plate that has silverware on it, he will watch it very closely, but he won't touch it. With my dog King, all bets are off! If it smells like food, and he can reach it....lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Our last beagle couldn't be trusted around food at all. Even if you just turned your back for a few seconds she'd quickly snatch any food around. Once she actually opened a cabinet door, got out a bottle of spaghetti sauce and ate the whole thing. The two current dogs are a little better. They're not as quick to snatch food from under my nose but anything left unattended when I leave the room is fair game for them.

If I leave food near either of my beagles, I trust that every morsel will be gone in record time

If we leave anything on our table Nina, 8 lb, will hop on as soon as we are out of sight and help herself to anything. It is annoying.
    Anna Quilts

Hahahahaha! One thing I was told not to give my doggie coffee. She sounds like a healthy eater with all those vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    My little chihuahua will eat anything that doesn't eat her first. She particularly loves carrots, potatoes, turnips and my coffee if I forget and leave my cup on the table beside my chair. She can be sound asleep but as soon as I get up & walk away I hear her feet hit the floor and then I hear the drinking. She was a stray when my gdtr & friend found her and begged me to take her in. She was skin & bones but now she's up to 8 lbs.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    If they smelled good enough, you couldn't trust me alone in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    I wouldn't trust any animal in a car with leftovers. They are different than groceries. The leftovers are meant to smell good and entice you to eat them. Poor Molly was only doing what she was baited to.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

We had a great dane that eat a whole chocolate cake, I left it on the table, so he took advantage of it just sitting there. He also eat a pkg of chicken legs that were in the sink, defrosting. That cost us a lot, with the vet bill.

It's a little funny, but my guy is not into food.. He eats to live, and not lives to eat.. I put human food mixed with his hard food.. He likes human food, but will leave food in the bowl when full. If my neighbors dog comes over, she checks out what he left over, and it's gone..

My Charlie (Avatar)was known to eat whole roasts and chickens that were left on the counter - his only vice! He also ate a remote control when he was pup. Don't think it tasted very good but must have had a good crunch.

Blog Entries
    I trust my dog to eat whatever she can snag. So yes, I do trust my dog, unfortunately do do the "wrong" thing. lol
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I would NEVER trust any of my dogs.
    And it's not just food, they love plastic, and we call toilet paper - filler food.

Having basenjis when the kids were little taught them to pick up their stuff!

In fact I remember taking one to a show and took her to potty before our ring time. She had eaten a Barbie hand because one was crawling out of her!

I always knew if they were not eating, they were sick. Or full
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

My Abs was a potato chip freak-she just KNEW that the bag of chips were bought just for her. I could leave meat, cheese any and all groceries in the car with either dog (Cyn-the brown dog is a kelpie cross and Abs was a lab-we lost her in July) or both and they never got into things--but with chips, Abs would take the bag out of the sack and lay it on the front car seat for me to open and then hang her head over until I fed her chips. She never opened the bag herself, but made sure I knew that was my job and I needed to do it NOW!! Mom!! She had been good and waited int he car and now wanted her reward!! Loved that dog and miss her terribly.

Blog Entries
    NO!!! Libby, the ten-year-old beagle is the reason we ALWAYS push the chairs up to the table... she will jump up looking for anything. We don't usually leave food on the table, of course, but she'll just go exploring if she can find a way to get up there! I was watering in the back yard a few months ago and looked in the kitchen window to see her looking at me from on top of the table! She knew she was in trouble when I headed for the door! And Mia, the two-year-old yellow Lab recently ate 10 of 12 muffins I'd put on the counter to cool. I'd made them for our Sunday School class, then went upstairs to dress. When I came back downstairs there were dusty paw prints on the counter and only 2 muffins left... well, really only 1 1/2 muffins... she'd taken the top off the 11th muffin... sheesh....
    Oh and there was the time my DH had picked up one of those roasted chickens... put it on the table and absent-mindedly went to do something else... yep... Libby was finishing it off when he got back into the kitchen. (I was off on a teacher-trip that time...) Oh he was not happy.... but all that said... I still love 'em!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    Oh... and a friend's lab pup (she was almost a year old) ate some bread dough that hadn't cooked correctly... her owners had thrown it in the trash in the garage without thinking... it made her pretty sick, judging by the mess she produced... the vet said to just watch her closely... but after all the vomiting and pooping subsided, there was enough fermented dough in her belly, she was drunker than, well, you know... DRUNK!!! She recovered nicely of course, but it was quite a mess!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

We can trust all our dogs with our food, we are pretty lucky that we can, but we can leave a plate of the coffee table and walk away and it is always there when we return.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL nah .. wouldn't trust any furbaby .. We just had a foster Great Dane over while Gus was being transported to his forever home (Special needs dane-Deaf) and he would stand there and clear our counters with one swoop. LOL good thing I don't keep much on my counters (DD couldn't apologize enough for Gus .. Oh heavens .. no apology needed-Gus stood as tall as the counters and could see over the counters .. Geez.. LOL ).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    My Charlie (Avatar)was known to eat whole roasts and chickens that were left on the counter - his only vice! He also ate a remote control when he was pup. Don't think it tasted very good but must have had a good crunch.
    I also forgot to mention that she ate three pair of glasses and my husband's hearing aid. Getting a bit serious, we bought Bess a couple of raw beef bones when she was just teething. She is going to be 11 and she still chews on them, She has worn teeth grooves into them, but they do keep her out of some trouble. She gnaws on them when she gets agitated. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Our little girls are pretty good. We have left food and they have not bothered it. But...also like kyded, we leave the food down for them 24/7. If they are hungry they go and eat. They are not over weight in any way either. However they do know that after we eat dinner, there is usually a small sampling of dinner for them. I guess its a small dinner treat. And thanks everyone for sharing your stories, they have been very entertaining with my coffee this morning.
    Amythyst

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast