Do you use food coupons?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I just spent over $100 at the grocery store and realized that nothing I bought could have had coupons. We eat mostly fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, and when I buy stuff it is generally store brands. (DH is diabetic)

I envy the folks who can use coupons, but not much of what I buy qualifies. Is anyone else in the same boat? If you use coupons -- which ones are most useful to you?
Do you use toilet paper? Paper towels? Dish washing detergent? Coffee or tea? Got a cat or dog? Do you buy clothing? Vitamins? If you're not using coupons for these, you're throwing money out the window!
Depends on what brands people use, many times the coupons are for the more expensive brands, and even with the coupons, you can get it cheaper.
I find that the coupons that come in the Sunday paper are mostly junk, processed food etc. Stuff I don't need or buy.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 AM

I use them when I can but lately you have to buy so many of one item to use just one coupon.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 AM

Used to save with coupons, but have pretty much given up on them.I buy a lot of produce & food needing to be cooked.Will use a coupon for cereal, but not when you need to buy a bunch to qualify.

I cook most every day & seldom see coupons on basic foods or produce.The buy one/get one free meat is a good buy....without coupons.I like to use the grocery as a stock up center.Seldom buy one of things like salt,pepper,vinegar etc.

Other things are only bought on sale,such as salad dressings,pasta.Shopping to save money does more for my food budget than coupons.

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I just spent over $100 at the grocery store and realized that nothing I bought could have had coupons. We eat mostly fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, and when I buy stuff it is generally store brands. (DH is diabetic)

I envy the folks who can use coupons, but not much of what I buy qualifies. Is anyone else in the same boat? If you use coupons -- which ones are most useful to you?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Do you use toilet paper? Paper towels? Dish washing detergent? Coffee or tea? Got a cat or dog? Do you buy clothing? Vitamins? If you're not using coupons for these, you're throwing money out the window!
Not necessarily, if a person uses store brand products they are most of the times cheaper then the name brand with a coupon. I've found with name brand products with coupons, that there is usually a cheaper product without a coupon.

Now on the days when there is a good sale and a coupon, then you can really stock up. That's what I keep an eye out for.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 AM

I do clip coupons. Although the generic brands are cheaper, I can save when I combine the coupon with a sale on the brand item. (paid 50 cents for a Ken's salad dressing when it was on sale & had a coupon for it)
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 AM

Great buy! & they make DH's fav salad dressing.

Originally Posted by redkimba
I do clip coupons. Although the generic brands are cheaper, I can save when I combine the coupon with a sale on the brand item. (paid 50 cents for a Ken's salad dressing when it was on sale & had a coupon for it)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 AM

I try very hard not to buy food that you can use coupons for. I like fresh food. The only thing I use coupons for is cat food and cleaning supplies.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
So much more expensive to eat healthy, natural foods... and people wonder why our country is so unhealthy and overweight. Who can afford to eat right?? :)
AMEN!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 AM

I've always used coupons and clip all that would match my grocery lists. Sometimes however I find a store brand that costs less and I leave the named brand coupon on the shelf for the next person. I also have a Sams card so I do buy in bulk items I know I will use.
To save money I survey my cupboards and pantry and try to make a menu from what I have on hand. If I lack one item I put it on the list. Some weeks all I need is the fresh meats or produce required to make my menu items.
My grandson loves to help me *dream* up a menu when he stays but I think it's because he wants to make sure okra and liver never makes it to his plate. 8-)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 AM

I always go online and check for coupons right before I go shopping for items on my list. I try to stock up on items that are sale. We also have a couple stores with the store cards for discounts and we use them. I heard on the news yesterday that mor people than ever are using coupons.