Do you use food coupons?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 AM

One think I find annoying is that so many coupons now are for $1 off when you buy 3 of an item. I'd much rather have a 0.35 coupon on 1, because most stores will double the smaller coupons.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM

I would if my twice a week paper included them. I'm not buying a large Sunday paper at over $2.50 to get a few cents off coupons...maybe..if there is something I use in there.
Our store here is not really large, but they do have ocassional special deals...and if they are for something we use, like if I buy a pack of ground beef, they throw in taco shells, refied beans, cheese & a head of lettuce...I'll buy the ground beef.
I don't subscribe to magazines with food ads (no magazines actually, I just buy an ocassional quilt magazine if I see an article I want to read).
I did just sign up to get Johnson & Johnson coupon book in the mail...and downloaded a 1.00 off Girahdelli chocolate.
We buy mostly meats & store brands, so coupons not real helpful.
Why by 90 of an item just because it's almost free? We buy what we will use, not what we can get a coupon for.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM

I have used coupons for years. When the kids were little, I would put the amount of money I saved into an envelope and use that for Christmas for a mini vacation. Now I use the savings for fabric purchases. If I don't save much one week I don't buy anything.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM

I use coupons for dog/cat foods, and if there are any on flours, choc chips, milks, coffees teas stuff like that - I'm crazy for fresh fruits and veggies, but they are so darn expensive I only buy what is in the middle of the season cheap. Trying to garden for a lot of fresh foods.

I try so hard not to buy any processed stuff, and read labels like crazy. I felt so sick for a few days in a row last week I thought I must be getting ready to have a heart attack. Told hubs, he made me just some eggs (3) and toast from bread I'd baked and tea, and after a few hrs I felt a million times better. He's now gone to the lake and Ive been eating fresh salads, fresh veggies, coconut milk and tea (green) and I feel like a top! I can't stop running around and getting stuff done - its amazing! All the meat I had was a little boiled chicken from making chicken soup fresh, no beef at all for a week. It works best for me to eat (esp a sm breakfast every day!) small bites thru the day, no one huge sit down meal, just what fits on a salad plate every 2-3 hrs, up until about 6PM. sharet
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I use a lot of store brands I also shop at Aldi's and Sav-A-Lot and Miejer's-M has better prices on paper products and my coupons come in handy there and a much better produce selection The only groceries I get at Wal-Mart are my tea bags and Tony Packo Pickles Our Wally stores are high dollar stores as far as groceries are concerned,and their meats are way over priced I refuse to pay 2.19 lb for a whole fryer when I can get breasts for 99cents lb at Miejers not on sale
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Yes I do. I understand what you're saying about the fresh food, but every once in a while there is a Q for Olivia's salads and other produce - you have to keep your eyes peeled.

I very rarely buy toiletries, paper products, cleaning supplies or non-perishables without a coupon. I even have my daughter who is in college using them! Meghan
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Alex J
I don't use coupons, but I do use the store cards, where I live we have two- three big markets all of them if you use there cards you get some form of discount, two give you points towards certains gas stations so you can have anywhere from 5 to 10 cent off your gallon of gas.
me too
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM

The local newspaper in Green Valley, Az had an article in August about a recent wide-spread problem of people putting money in newspaper vending machines for one newspaper but taking out a bunch of newspapers, pulling out the coupon inserts, and leaving the remainder of the papers by the machines. Guess this is a sign of the times.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Rarely do I find coupons that I can use. Bummer!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM

I am not a fanatic at collecting coupons, but I do use them whenever I find something that I use a lot.