Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does any one know about Shingles? >

Does any one know about Shingles?

Does any one know about Shingles?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 AM

I had them on my hand once. They were the most painful thing I've had to deal with. I can not remember what the dr gave me but it really didn't work. It takes time to get over them.

Vicky
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 AM

I take zovirax 800 mg once a day to keep any chance of them coming back because they went into my eye!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 AM

I think I heard on TV, a few days ago, that they lowered the age for the vaccine from 60 to 50.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Irishrose is correct. Be sure to at least try the L Lysine. It is an amino acid and will really help your body get over the shingles, also works for mono.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Yup and it was the pits, but I did have pain meds to help. Took about a month for me. Can be shorter and sometimes. sadly, it takes a lot longer. You can get the shingles shot. I cannot afford it as it is expensive, even with medicare and AARP.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by maurie
I have been give pain patches and pain medication. I did not have a rash and it has taken 5 months and mulit test and lots of pain to finally diagnosis my problem. As a child I had chicken poxs and as an adult I have had the Shingles Shot. And I still suffer. Thank you for letting me know that this does run its course. My pain in under the left arm that radiates toward my back and stomach. It is next to impossible to wear a bra for any extended time(over 2 hours) without complete misery.
I continue to suffer. My quality of life is far below par.
Mine didn't erupt either. they say it can be the worst.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM

I had a good case of the Chicken Pox when I was about 10 yrs old, but I also had the shingles in the spring of 09. They were on my right upper thigh, buttock, back and groin and pelvic area. Honey they doooooo give you a lot of pain. My pain began 4 days before I broke out and I had a mild case. The Dr. gave me a mild pain med. can't remember what it was, but nothing for the itch. The only thing I found for that was white vinegar on a soft cloth every time I began to itch and dab the wet cloth on the places. Nothing else I tried helped at all. I did not scratch the blister places but I do have scars from them. I had trouble wearing clothing as well, and missed two weeks work. I still have pain from time to time in all the areas that I had the shingles. I'm not trying to discourage you, but my pain lasted off and on for about 6 mos. A friend told me it took her MIL well over a year to get over hers.
I would hightly suggest to anyone who has not had them to get the shot. If you haven't had the shingles, you have no idea what the pain is like, none that I've had before, and it hurts continously. Broken ribs were bad and most pain I had endured before the shingles. Good luck friend, I hope you get over them soon and get some kind of relief!!! Those of us who have had the shingles know exactly what you are going through.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 PM

Husband had a form of shingles - broke out on his back with a quarter size of small blisters. Went to dermatoligist for scraping. He got the vaccine - it is a LIVE INJECTION that comes FROZEN and MUST BE INJECTED WITHIN 1 HOUR. So you pick it up from pharmacist and go direct to Dr office.
It was $250.00 and Blue Cross/BS covered it. No more breakouts.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Get to the doctor they are nothing to mess with and try to cure on your own. My niece had them and ended up in the hospital with a stroke was put into a coma while they treated her recovery was just like she had a stroke her mouth still hangs as a result they are nothing to mess with. Do get the shot.
I've had the shingles on my face went to doctor right away and started the medication they were gone fast but was no fun while I had them.
Good luck will be praying for you
Old 07-07-2011, 05:21 PM

We were extremely fortunate here in our county, I got mine with grant money from a certain philanthopist, I paid $15.00 ... and I praise that group for their generosity !!!!! Our town has the fortunate offerings of the DeVos/VanAndel / Amway founders plus many others..that have made our neighboring city "Medical Miracle Mile," and we are certainly blessed!!!!!!!