Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by Lisanne
I'm surprised there isn't some kind of computer software that would let you put in your measurements, then show you a body form and let you create designs, see what they look like, and then print them out.
There ae several different computer software programs. Sorry I can't remember the name of all of them.
Bernina just came out with one called My Label that does just that. I'm sure it isn't cheap though.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 AM

I used to make all my clothes. Sometimes it was hit or miss. Some looked good and some didn't. Hard to justify the time spent when you didn't like wearing it after you finished it. When you add in notions, pattern, Thread and material, you can't sew cheaper than you can buy at TJMaxx, Target, Marshall's, Clearance racks for Nordstrom, and Loehmanns. I may go back to it though, just to get a pair of slacks to fit.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jraff
I used to make all my clothes. Sometimes it was hit or miss. Some looked good and some didn't. Hard to justify the time spent when you didn't like wearing it after you finished it. When you add in notions, pattern, Thread and material, you can't sew cheaper than you can buy at TJMaxx, Target, Marshall's, Clearance racks for Nordstrom, and Loehmanns. I may go back to it though, just to get a pair of slacks to fit.
You're right that it's sometimes more expensive to make your own clothes than to buy them, but if fit matters, then it is sometimes worth the time, money and effort put into it.

I buy most of my clothes now because I don't have the time to make them, but if I did have the time, I'd much rather have make them because they fit so much better.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by CrystalKicks
I dont sew either...only quilt ha ha ha but I ran across this yesterday and I think Im going to try it...see what happens...

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=791

so cute and sew easy...
Now I love that! Thanks for the link!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks, both of you.

MissTreated, your advice was not at all too basic, at least not for me. I copied it to refer to whenever I finally get that sewing machine.

When you say Vogue patterns are engineered better than McCall's/Butterick, and they are better than Simplicity, what makes them better or worse?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Oops, I gave the wrong site name. Sorry about that. :oops:

Anyone who is not the "average" size or shape should check this out.

http://www.uniquepatterns.com/
Thanks, got it. Turns out there's a shop not far from me.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

I still sew clothes, making my granddaughter a easter dress now
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Oops, I gave the wrong site name. Sorry about that. :oops:

Anyone who is not the "average" size or shape should check this out.

http://www.uniquepatterns.com/
Thanks, got it. Turns out there's a shop not far from me.
It would be cool if you got yourself scanned so you can share the experience with everyone. They give you one free pattern when you get scanned, but they only give you a few to choose from. I got a button down blouse and have made several of them. It is wonderful not to have to make any adjustments to the pattern at all. The location near you is their headquarters.

After you get scanned, they send you an email a week or so later and ask you to take some measurements, then email them back. Makes perfect sense when you consider that the scan can only do so much.

They give you a catalog of patterns you can buy. The patterns are around $18-20 each and are printed on about 20 lb paper (same as regular copy paper). When you order an item, you can get it with different collars or different sleeves for a small fee. The patterns are wonderful - the 5 pocket jeans pattern is their most popular.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM

I've thought of doing this. How do you keep up with the new pattern designs? They offered this service at the Expos. I've even seen one software that allowed you to print your patterns. Then you would have to tape them together. Some times I take pieces of patterns from different patterns to make my own designs.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Thanks, both of you.

MissTreated, your advice was not at all too basic, at least not for me. I copied it to refer to whenever I finally get that sewing machine.

When you say Vogue patterns are engineered better than McCall's/Butterick, and they are better than Simplicity, what makes them better or worse?
The pattern pieces are more precise, they fit better. The "very easy, very vogue" are the simplest, just be mindful of how many seams there are. Many of Vogue patterns are pretty intense.