Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Would like to see your designs- any pictures?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM

while my daughter was still in college, i hand embroidered a complete trousseau for her for 'the day'. i put aside six sheet sets with embroidered flat sheets and 4 cases each, six linen tablecloths for a table for eight chairs, three sets of pj's and three nightgowns. then i did one dozen extra sets of cases to go with solid color sheet sets.

she's been married now for more than ten years. the sheet sets have gone to bedding heaven. some of the extra cases are still kicking around, the nighties and pj's are long gone. the tablecloths are used but still here. why? because you have to iron linen! :evil: that's why. and it's a giant pain in the butt. someday i'll make a quilt, using the flowers as blocks. of course, she'll have to unearth them first.

but redwork is making a huge comeback and we'll be seeing more and more of it, all done by hand. i wish i had saved some of my mother's own work. she was terrific at embroidery.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Hi Rhonda: I still hand embroidery. I am currently working on a sun bonnet sue quilt that is all hand done. I did it in red and blue work just to be doing something different. I still have to add the sashing and borders. I am going to try to attach a pic, but have never done it before so it may or may not work.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24460.jpe  
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM

I embroidered blocks for hubby's quilt. Got to the last one and decided I needed a break. I would wake up and my hands would be hurting.

Ready to go back to it now, really want to finish it.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by kwhite
Check out my Dotee dolls I hand embroidered both.
Love your embroidery on the dolls! Is it a pattern? I do mostly my own flower designs so I am always interested in flowers in embroidery. I like to do vines and various stylized flowers that aren't real flowers just my interpretation. Love yours! What is a dotee doll for?
These were the May Dotee Doll exchange. One is in Oregon the other is in Guam. No I just winged it and put any flower where ever I felt it belonged.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maureen43
Hi Rhonda: I still hand embroidery. I am currently working on a sun bonnet sue quilt that is all hand done. I did it in red and blue work just to be doing something different. I still have to add the sashing and borders. I am going to try to attach a pic, but have never done it before so it may or may not work.
Love your work! I really like Sunbonnet Sue stuff. I have never done anything but a simple Sue. I love all the differant pictures of Sue doing other things. They always make me think of the old Dick and Jane books.

I found an old Sunbonnet Sue story book from the 40's I think it is. Someday I may try my hand at doing a Sue that is more complilcated looking! When I find the time!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm a hand embroidery wannabe. It's harder than it looks! Here's an example of huck weaving.

Huck Weaving
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33323[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33323.jpe  
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chele
I'm a hand embroidery wannabe. It's harder than it looks! Here's an example of huck weaving.
Those look terrific! They would look great in my red kitchen!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen43
Very pretty. I like the red and blue combination.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Great towels. It brings back good memories of spending time with my Great- Aunts when I was 7- many years ago.