Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone use Consumer Cellular for thier phone service >

Does anyone use Consumer Cellular for thier phone service

Does anyone use Consumer Cellular for thier phone service

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
They are too high priced, I have TracFone. You can have a monthly allotment but I like the pay as you go. I got a flip phone with pretty good buttons for $14.95. Minutes are double on this phone so if I get a 60 minute card for under $20.00, that ends up being 120 minutes good for 90 days. The other neat thing is any minutes as long as you don't expire on your days,minutes and days can be rolled over. You can get a 120 minute cared which is then 240 minutes for under $30.00. That averages out $10.00 a month. Text are charges as a 1/3 of a minute. I have had this phone for three years now and I LOVE IT!! PM me if you have any questions.
My hubby has that, he gets the one year plan for arounf #$100 a year.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM

There are so many variables to think about when choosing a cell phone, cell company, and cell plan.

1. What your usage is.
2. What kind of usage you use most - i.e., talk, text, data, or a combination of these.
3. What the coverage is in your area.
4. What is important to you - monthly cost? Having the latest & greatest in smart phones?

After years of being with Verizon, I've decided I'm going to move to Republic Wireless in the next month or so. I currently have a "dumb" phone and would like to upgrade to a smart phone so I can access emails and have GPS for driving. A few games and apps would be nice, also. I compared upgrading to the Moto X smart phone, which both companies offer.

The thing that makes me chuckle is when I talk to my friends and they all think I'm crazy because they get their smart phones for free for signing a 2-year contract. Then I show them the numbers over that 2 years and they suddenly fall very quiet.

For Verizon, the phone would cost me $49.99, and the minimum smart phone plan (what Verizon requires me to have in order to get a smart phone) would be $85 per month. For one year, that means I'd pay $1070.00. Two years would be $2090.00.

For Republic Wireless, the phone would cost me $300, and the phone plan that best fits my usage (that I get to choose) is $10.00 per month. (The plan I'd choose is unlimited text & talk, and 5 gb of data, although they will reduce my speed if I exceed that. They also will forgive one data overage every 6 months.) For one year, that means I'd pay $420. Two years would be $540.00. I'm not locked into a contract and I can switch plans at any time with no penalty.

Republic Wireless operates on a wifi signal where available, and goes to a T-Mobile cell signal when wifi is not available. I've checked with my friends who have T-Mobile, and coverage is good in my area, and the map shows good coverage in all the areas I travel. I would have wifi available 90-95% of the time.

So for me and the type of usage I use the most, I think this is the best choice.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Love Consumer Cellular. Have been with them for almost 3 years, and service is great everywhere we travel, including Hawaii!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

My step son has one and says he pays about $10.00 a month. I have another company and pay $47.00 a month and never text. only for emergency calls. mainly for carrying in my car. and it's usually turned off. I'm thinking of changing carriers myself!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
They are too high priced, I have TracFone. You can have a monthly allotment but I like the pay as you go. I got a flip phone with pretty good buttons for $14.95. Minutes are double on this phone so if I get a 60 minute card for under $20.00, that ends up being 120 minutes good for 90 days. The other neat thing is any minutes as long as you don't expire on your days,minutes and days can be rolled over. You can get a 120 minute cared which is then 240 minutes for under $30.00. That averages out $10.00 a month. Text are charges as a 1/3 of a minute. I have had this phone for three years now and I LOVE IT!! PM me if you have any questions.
We only use our cell phones when we are traveling or visiting someone. We each have the TracFone which uses AT&T towers or sometimes Verizon. I recently got a new phone from HSN online for $59. It was a special. I can get online with it, text or call. It came with one year of service and 1500 minutes I think. I didn't need a new phone but it was such a good deal, I went for it. Oh, and it has triple minutes so when I buy one of those 120 minute cards, I get 360 minutes. These phone work perfect for us. However, if you spend much time on the phone, it might not work for you.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I have A T & T and their service in Boulder, CO isn't good due to the mountains. that's what they told me anyway. more towers!! I had to go outside the hospital to make a call while everyone else was able to use their phones inside. also in hospital on other side of Boulder, my phone worked inside for calls to outside but I never got calls from relatives calling me. odd. phone never rang and it was on. sigh. so maybe a change would be good.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM

My niece uses ting which is a pay for what you use plan - here is a review:
http://www.rethinkingthedream.com/88...ting-wireless/
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM

I never used all my minutes when I was working and now that I'm retired I use even less. I switched to a tracfone and have been happy. I only spend about $20 every 3 months.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM

I switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular a few months ago. You can buy any phone (even a smart phone) and still use this service. My phone is the cheapest I could get. Besides calling, I have texting and everything I need for $18 per month. Wish I would have changed long ago and saved money. The same service was costing me $45 from AT&T.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 PM

I DO have it, and I love it. I get 300 minutes a month for $15 plus taxes. The service is super, and I really love it! It's by far the best deal going and you can't go wrong !!