Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed? >
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

• Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

Old 05-22-2024, 02:25 AM

I have an account on Twitter for another hobby. I use FB to keep up with friends/family. However, that happens when I use FB on my laptop. When I use it on my Kindle, I get a whole bunch of stuff I am not interested in. And when I do use it on my laptop, after I look at 4 or 5 posts, it starts jumping around, going down the page rapidly so it is unusable. I close out of it then.

I think social media has made people lose their minds. Look at the people (M & F) who fall in love with a picture online and think they are "dating" someone they have never met. Then start sending them money to help them. It ain't real folks!!!

Also, what is it with the vloggers and influencers who have millions of people watching their every move? No thank you, I do not want to watch you put on your makeup, or drive your kids to school, or potty train your toddler. How about go out and live your own life instead of watching other people's lives.
    Old 05-22-2024, 02:45 AM

I use Facebook to keep up with family doings as my small family is spread around the world. I also find out what's going on locally. I don't use Insta that much because of the time it all takes to scroll. I don't get depressed by social media that much but I can understand how some people can. Quilting and helping out in the community keep me sane. I'm grateful for the ties I've made in quilt guilds and my neighborhood. That's the best social media of all!
    Old 05-22-2024, 03:12 AM

I have dabbled in the technology world since the early 70's and have been a fb user for many years. As a retired teacher, I keep up with some of my former students, family and family friends. I love seeing what they are doing and where they have gone, Now I am now seeing posts of their grown up children and even grandkids - those make me feel old lol! I can say I do not find that group depressing - they bring me joy knowing that care to share their life with me!.

What I can say is that in some of the quilting groups I follow, there is a small percentage of users that are what I would call "trolls" - people who post pictures off of pinterest and other public quilting groups and call the work their own. They always seem to be accompanied by some idiotic post saying this is my first quilt. A quick image web search often leads to Pintrest or other commercial sites - those are the ones I block If it looks too good to be true it sometimes is! I find those infuriating and one of the reasons that I rarely post my work in public fb quilting groups.

Tartan - makes an excellent point - folks post their successes - not their failures. Some folks post glorious family pictures and suddenly they have had an ugly divorce, some post spectacular quilts - but we never know how many never got finished because that have messed up. Always remember there are many sides to the lives of the people we encounter on line that we never see!
    Old 05-22-2024, 05:11 AM

I check FB occasionally. Mostly family and friends. We have private groups. One for Ladies Luncheon, we take turns hosting; one for Family Thanksgiving, menu plannings; Most posts are positive. I check my notifications to see important posts.
    Old 05-22-2024, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I am not encouraging you or wanting to change your mind but social media for me is way more than the two things listed. But I am a grown up old person
    I know what's available, I'm just not that interested so I don't use it just to keep up with people (or at least make myself think I'm keeping up with them)
    Old 05-22-2024, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Also, what is it with the vloggers and influencers who have millions of people watching their every move? No thank you, I do not want to watch you put on your makeup, or drive your kids to school, or potty train your toddler. How about go out and live your own life instead of watching other people's lives.
    This is how I feel about most FB and social media stuff. I prefer to go out and live my life instead of watching other people post what makes them look good which is mostly likely not their real life.
    Old 05-22-2024, 06:38 AM

I use social media in moderation. I have a FB account but block anyone who isn't a friend (31 at this time) mostly family but some close friends. My sites that I follow are quilting sites relating to my interests and when I get ads on my Kindle I block them so I don't have to see them again. I still have a flip phone and it's only on if I need it to be,still have a landline with caller ID and unless it's family or friend I don't answer if you can't leave a message must not be important. I don't text or X or TikTok and almost never go to Pintrest and I get along in life just fine without all of it.
    Old 05-22-2024, 08:37 AM

I think one of the things I really don't like about Facebook, is co-workers that you don't like or don't trust, trying to friend you. I block so many people I've lost count. I'm not interested in my workplace looking at my Facebook--- even though I really just post some quilt stuff that I'm working on, I still don't want them looking.
    Old 05-22-2024, 09:52 AM

social media I do not participate in
    it's like organizing fabric and scraps I would rather spend my time using it.
    Old 05-22-2024, 10:08 PM

PTQuilts said "Also, what is it with the vloggers and influencers who have millions of people watching their every move? No thank you, I do not want to watch you put on your makeup, or drive your kids to school, or potty train your toddler. How about go out and live your own life instead of watching other people's lives.[/QUOTE]"

I used to say the same thing....until I talked to my 21 yo grandson. He has a Tic-Toc page and followers, and is an "influencer" in that he gets sent free product to try, make a video, post it, and gets paid by the number of clicks/comments he gets. I'm not sure exactly how this whole thing works, or who sends the product, but I know it pays him well, and he gets to keep the product. My DIL had a fit because he did a facial scrub video in their bathroom, and she was mortified he didn't clean the counter off first! I don't follow him, but evidently others do! I don't get it, or understand it either!

Last edited by Anniedeb; 05-22-2024 at 10:10 PM.