Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed? >
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

• Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

Old 05-22-2024, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb
    PTQuilts said "Also, what is it with the vloggers and influencers who have millions of people watching their every move? No thank you, I do not want to watch you put on your makeup, or drive your kids to school, or potty train your toddler. How about go out and live your own life instead of watching other people's lives.
    "

I used to say the same thing....until I talked to my 21 yo grandson. He has a Tic-Toc page and followers, and is an "influencer" in that he gets sent free product to try, make a video, post it, and gets paid by the number of clicks/comments he gets. I'm not sure exactly how this whole thing works, or who sends the product, but I know it pays him well, and he gets to keep the product. My DIL had a fit because he did a facial scrub video in their bathroom, and she was mortified he didn't clean the counter off first! I don't follow him, but evidently others do! I don't get it, or understand it either![/QUOTE]

I understand how the whole "influencer" thing works. I just question why so many young people spend so much time watching people online and what they do instead of having their own real life?
    Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    "

I used to say the same thing....until I talked to my 21 yo grandson. He has a Tic-Toc page and followers, and is an "influencer" in that he gets sent free product to try, make a video, post it, and gets paid by the number of clicks/comments he gets. I'm not sure exactly how this whole thing works, or who sends the product, but I know it pays him well, and he gets to keep the product. My DIL had a fit because he did a facial scrub video in their bathroom, and she was mortified he didn't clean the counter off first! I don't follow him, but evidently others do! I don't get it, or understand it either!
    I understand how the whole "influencer" thing works. I just question why so many young people spend so much time watching people online and what they do instead of having their own real life?[/QUOTE]
    one could say the same thing about quilters who watch endless YouTube tutorials or Missouri star quilt videos with Jenny Doan. Why are t those people doing something better with their own time and quilting their own projects. I wonder could you ask some young people and find out why?
    Old 05-23-2024, 02:57 AM

DH and myself are not FB people. We both have absolutely no interest. I have an Instagram account, I agree, much less drama on Instagram, my experience is lots of picture sharing with a description. I have no other social media accounts. One of grandsons who is 8, when you ask him what he wants to be when he grows up, "a YouTuber" Ugh.... needless to say, in my generation, you never heard that said....😔
    Old 05-23-2024, 05:06 AM

speaking of youtube...unless it is something I REALLY want to learn I seldom use it anymore. What is with all the fearbased ads?
    A few that come to mind:
    your vehicle goes into a river
    your bbq catches fire
    the top five words/actions you need to know for name the scary sublect
    a number obsessed with poop. their word, not mine.
    We haven't had a TV for at least 15 years because the ads are so awful, who needs that stuff in your head?
    Old 05-23-2024, 05:09 AM

I don't do social media... Quilting Board is about as far as I go. I did set up a facebook page so people who wanted to find me could, but I've never done anything with that. I don't twitter/X, I don't Tik Tok, No Instagram or whatever. I don't follow or have any interest in influencers of any sort. I'd rather live my own life and be busy living it instead of posting about it.

20 some years ago before you could make a living at this sort of stuff, I was a minor celebrity in gaming circles. I guess I can understand how the monetary incentive can be a big influence on behaviors. Like the old Dire Straits song, "get your money for nothing and your chicks for free" with chicks replaced by attention.

One thing I will say is that the change in people/culture since smart phones has been sad in my opinion. I was an early adopter of cell phones but my vision issues got bad around the time of smart phones. Being an "outsider" is like being the designated driver at a bar, the drinkers don't think they are being abnormal at all but the driver can see the changes in their behaviors.

Some people are clearly addicted to their phones. They are nervous and anxious and exhibit other symptoms if they can't be constantly plugged in. I think these are the ones vulnerable to depression and other issues. C'mon folks -- you can survive an hour off for dinner or whatever. You don't need to take them to bed with you. Is sad to me to see entire groups of people connected online when they have a human with them, whether it is in line for something or sitting/eating somewhere. For 5those that feel it necessary to record events and insulate yourself from being a participant to being an observer, how many times do you really go back and watch the video of a wedding or other event? When do you even have the time to do it.

Eye contact is an important part of being human for everyone, especially for children. While grocery shopping particularly I see so many disconnected parent/child combination, and since I can hear the conversations I know it isn't multi-tasking and making doctor's appointments, it is just inane drivel of the parent ignoring their children. Downtime/boring stuff is also important need and skill.
    Old 05-24-2024, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    speaking of youtube...unless it is something I REALLY want to learn I seldom use it anymore. What is with all the fearbased ads?
    A few that come to mind:
    your vehicle goes into a river
    your bbq catches fire
    the top five words/actions you need to know for name the scary sublect
    a number obsessed with poop. their word, not mine.
    We haven't had a TV for at least 15 years because the ads are so awful, who needs that stuff in your head?
    I do have Youtube but I have the Ad-Free version so I don't get all those ads. I'm glad, because I hate being subject to political ads. They all suck on both sides.
    Old 05-28-2024, 08:17 AM

I use social media for its original purpose - connecting people.

I use FB to stay connected to my sewing groups, it gives us a central place to plan meetings, post pictures, etc. Works especially well for the groups that are scattered across the globe.

I do like IG a lot. My IG feed is full of quilts, kittens, food/recipes, and exercise ideas. It is very algorithm-centric, and I laugh when I hear people complain about the stuff they see in their feed - it's because at some point you actually searched that out.
    Old 05-29-2024, 02:20 AM

Everyone's different. I use FB to keep in touch with people who don't live near me - relatives in Europe and far away (like my mother), retired work colleagues across the country, quilters I know who live elsewhere, etc. I love looking at photos of quilts so use IG for that. My young adult nieces use IG to share photos of things they're doing, so I occasionally keep up with them there. I hate watching youtube tutorials so do that very infrequently. I'd rather read the directions somewhere. But that's just me. To each his/her own. I don't really think it's a good look to see people walking around with their phones in their hands, but women's clothing isn't very pocket-oriented. And I hate when people's phones go off in a meeting, concert, or public event. It just seems rude. And please keep those phones off the dinner table!
    Old 05-29-2024, 04:09 AM

The only thing depressing on social media is the fact that majority of the postings I see are cute kitties and quilting oriented. Grrrr. I am much more than a quilter and a cat owner. I only read Facebook and seldom post anything. The world has no need to know what I eat, where I go or who my friends and family members are. I do understand that businesses use FB as a way to advertise and FB is a way for families or friends to keep in contact. I am not a dinosaur. I know how to use SC. I chose to be more of a private person who chooses to not spread my life before the the kabillion of people who may be viewing.
    Old 05-29-2024, 10:39 AM

I agree there are better more private ways to keep in touch we all have a phone