Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed? >
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

• Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

Old 05-21-2024, 06:02 AM

Default Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

I know I’ve read studies and seen on the news that people who utilize social media tend to be more depressed. I notice that if I spend too much time on Facebook and X I definitely am in a much more sour mood, However, I do not have this feeling when I use Instagram—but I only use it to look at other people’s quilts and quilting projects, and I think because it’s just mostly pictures that has something to do with it. Does anyone else experience this?
    Old 05-21-2024, 07:15 AM

I am seldom on FB. Amend that to hardly ever! I don't have an Instagram acct so I can not add how it makes me feel. I also don't watch much news TV or Computer) for the same reason - it's all too darn depressing!
    Old 05-21-2024, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

I follow quilt groups on Facebook so not many depressing posts. I immediately block any poster that is negative. I keep Youtube college lectures on while in my sewing room. I am really enjoying the theology ones. So much I never knew that was never discussed in church, any church..
    Old 05-21-2024, 08:43 AM
    Power Poster

Not me. I like some social media. And some
    of it has information in real time without anybody's interpretation . I have learned there is not much I can control but I can work on being informed and I can vote.
    Old 05-21-2024, 09:03 AM

I don't do FB. And mostly social media is to learn how to do something or get news of the neighborhood. I do think it's detrimental to teens and young people.
    Old 05-21-2024, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I don't do FB. And mostly social media is to learn how to do something or get news of the neighborhood. I do think it's detrimental to teens and young people.
    I am not encouraging you or wanting to change your mind but social media for me is way more than the two things listed. But I am a grown up old person
    Old 05-21-2024, 11:32 AM

I don’t do any social media. But as most of us are well aged and knowledgeable we know what is realistic. I know I am missing some things like quilt groups iAs for younger kids, they don’t realize what is made up to look more interesting. Many feel less than and trying to keep up is too much.
    Old 05-21-2024, 12:29 PM
    Power Poster

I hear my grands make comments when watching youtube, they say he's silly, no one does that, or he needs to go back to school, no one wears clothes like that, who would spend money on that?, I tell them by watching you are filling his/her pockets while yours are getting empty. Why watch if not learning something. Waste of time. I've noticed they have changed what they are watching. No more influencers.
    Old 05-21-2024, 02:45 PM
    Power Poster

I don’t get depressed as I remember they are posting their successes not their failures. Too many people think that media posts are real life….it’s not.
    Old 05-21-2024, 08:27 PM

I don't have a huge social media presence. No tic-tok , instagram, or X. I have FB but only have 56 friends, and I know every one of them personally. I'm related to 20 of them, My settings are private. For the most part it is just keeping up with each other, sharing news and pics. I only let in the content I want. I watch You tube quilting videos, or music, or things I'm interested it. So, no, I don't get depressed by it. I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and sharing that connection.