Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes? >

Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes?

Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

Mine had better never try to refuse my packages....

but they are the ones that told me and gave me the paper to prove it, that "The rule for FRE's is -- It has to close within its own folds, you're not allowed to make it into a box by cutting or modifying it in any way. The adhesive strip has to be adhered to its mating surface. You're not allowed to add any material to make it larger.

You should always add additional tape to all the seams, the FRE's are just not that robust.

Postal clerks are allowed to refuse over-stuffed FRE's, at their own discretion, if they feel that they can't be shipped safely without danger of bursting, so use additional tape.

A couple of other comments -- the new legal-sized FRE's hold more and ship for the same price -- $4.95 if purchased at the post office, $4.75 if postage is purchased online.

The padded FRE's are the same price for postage whether purchased online or at the PO - $4.95. For certain items these can be handier, but these are meant for businesses, so the post office normally doesn't have them. You can order them for free from usps.com."

THIS is the correct information!

I HATE the padded ones...you really can not get much in them, and they tear very easily.
I had one full of fabric, but NOT stuffed...and when the clerk dropped it on the floor, it popped in half....she was stunned as I was...it was like an egg cracking in two...

I prefer the envelope!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
A couple of other comments -- the new legal-sized FRE's hold more and ship for the same price -- $4.95 if purchased at the post office, $4.75 if postage is purchased online.
http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailService...&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&mt=37
As was discussed upthread, it's because PayPal and stamp.com have not yet added the option, and we're all using FRE-Regular as a default. But the actual price is not discounted.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM

No longer are overstuffed flat rate envelopes allowed. I'm very hesitant to buy fabrics from any online retailer or individual who promises that they can "fit" 5 to 7 yards in a Flat Rate Priority. No longer, my friend.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Again, from a small town, our clerks hold the envelope still so I can pull the adhesive flap over to connect.
LOL!
Debbie
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by star619
Again, from a small town, our clerks hold the envelope still so I can pull the adhesive flap over to connect.
LOL!
Debbie
In our small town office too!! :)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Mine encourages me to stuff them.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM

I was told that if the shape of the envelope is distorted they can't accept it.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM

I have better luck with the padded ones...and those are the only ones I use anymore.

I did receive a padded envelope from one of the sellers and it arrived all torn up on the outside...I was afraid that my magazines inside would be torn, but they were just fine.

I did a little test and tore the entire paper off the padded envelope to see what was left. It's actually a bubble bag fully protecting your item. So even though the outside paper had been torn, the bubble bag stayed in tact and my magazines didn't get a scratch on them.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I have better luck with the padded ones...and those are the only ones I use anymore.

I did receive a padded envelope from one of the sellers and it arrived all torn up on the outside...I was afraid that my magazines inside would be torn, but they were just fine.

I did a little test and tore the entire paper off the padded envelope to see what was left. It's actually a bubble bag fully protecting your item. So even though the outside paper had been torn, the bubble bag stayed in tact and my magazines didn't get a scratch on them.
Yep, the bubble wrap is very durable.

My P.O. is curious as to where I got my padded FRE, and I explained that it has to be ordered online.
I volunteered and offered a couple to my favorite P.O.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics

Yep, the bubble wrap is very durable.

My P.O. is curious as to where I got my padded FRE, and I explained that it has to be ordered online.
I volunteered and offered a couple to my favorite P.O.
I took a bunch into my post office too...figured I'd get brownie points that way...