dog question

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 PM

In defense of the good breeders, when I had a cat that had mothered her litters of kittens and was ready to retire, (I was a licensed breeder of persian cats) I found her a private home where she was queen of the castle, not one of many. I was very picky of her new people, and did follow up checks on them. Not all dogs are "thrown away".
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Well, I just have to add in behalf of the breeder, she did at least give her dogs (she had several) to the springer rescue group - didn't just turn them loose or take them to a shelter. Makes me think a bit more kindly toward her! We are having some problems persuading Molly she is safe with us; she is very wary of men and so far hasn't really warmed up to my husband but we are working on that.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Well, I just have to add in behalf of the breeder, she did at least give her dogs (she had several) to the springer rescue group - didn't just turn them loose or take them to a shelter. Makes me think a bit more kindly toward her! We are having some problems persuading Molly she is safe with us; she is very wary of men and so far hasn't really warmed up to my husband but we are working on that.
As a rescuer, I have to agree. While the breeders in this area cause lots of problems, the ones who are willing to give the unsaleable or old dogs to rescue are few and far between. The three permanent iggies here were all born with defects that made them unsaleable as puppies- blind, blind in one eye and a congenitally bad leg. Around here these are known as bucket pups or pail puppies, because most breeders destroy them rather than feed them. Mine have come from puppy mills, but at least they were given a chance at life by being turned over to us.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM

We breed English Bulldogs. I do not believe in rehoming a bitch who has "worked" for me. We spay our retiring ladies and they are treated like royalty. They have their own room with lots of pillows and blankies to lay on. They walk our property every day with me.I have one girl who is a greatgranma to 4 of our current show dogs.
She was born with an eye that was removed due to an injury. She is currently 13 1/2 yrs. old. Her name is Dream Weaver and she is the best friend I have. We have 16 bullies at the moment. I love them all.