dog question

Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 AM

A while back I asked advice/opinions on what kind of dog to get and got lots of replies - thanks! We have adopted a 7 year old English springer spaniel from the rescue group. Molly was used as a breeder and when she became too old for that, her owner gave her to the rescue group!

Now I have another question. Molly has saliva stains from licking her legs/paws; I think she was probably bored while she was kenneled, awaiting adoption, and spent her time licking herself! Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the discolorations? Our vet says "maybe" they will grow out but if I can do anything about them now, I would love to. She really is a pretty dog!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM

don't they make somethng for "tear marks" on light colored dogs? I wonder if that would work?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Does she still lick?

I have had a few white dogs come from the mills. You might try a peroxide solution. Wash her every couple of days, using diluted peroxide. If it irritates her, then stop.

If she continues licking, you might try tea tree oil on her paws- they really dislike the taste of it.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM

It's always best to check with the vet regarding using products like peroxide or tea trea oil on a pet. They may be safe, which is great, but they would know concentrations and application methods which would be best.
There is just too much out there that can harm a pet. And what works safely on one animal, doesn't always have the same results on another. Always check with a vet first. They don't mind a quick phone call with a question now and then.
:) :)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM

did the vet run any tests? I have a simply wonderful chocolate lab who was brought to be euthanized on her 4th birthday cause they could no longer breed her. Thankfully, she was rescued and came to me and is a fabulous girl. Anyway, she used to lick any and everything...grooming like crazy. The vet ran some blood tests and it turned out she had hypothyroidism. With daily synthroid (like with us humans) the condition is easily treatable and the licking stopped within a day. So, first, before you do any home remedy, check her out with a vet. Having said that, it may well be a habit of boredom and with increased activity and love, she may be convinced to develop new and better habits.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM

so glad you found a dog to love!!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

If she still licks then no. But otherwise it will grow out. My dog is white and when I got her she had yellow stains and they did grow out thank goodness. :-)
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 AM

I rescued a white boxer from a puppy mill - she also had tear stains.... and salvia stains. I just took some of my kids gentle shampoo and bathed her - all came out!! If she is licking constantly, along with a thyroid issue, is an allergy issue. Mine also has allergies and licks/chews her paws. Can always tell when it's time to get out the meds!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I have an appointment with the groomer for next week and I will see what results that gets. She is still licking but it seems to me not so much. And, of course, she is probably still stressed by moving in with strangers and her new environment. Hopefully this will all settle down. Thanks again for the ideas; if she doesn't improve I will certainly ask our vet if there is a health related issue we need to pursue.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Licking her legs and paws is not necessarily boredom. The dog may have allergies. My dog licks his paws until they look like they're bleeding. We just had him tested & found out what he's allergic to so now we can treat him properly. It's expensive, but you may want to have your dog checked for allergies.