Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients? >

dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients?

dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Do they have textured fleece? I bet something like that would work.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
pal

I know that there are different textures in felt. Jo-Ann's has them, and I have used them. Some are curly looking and some look like animal fur. They come on bolts.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM

the dolls I make are of my own design and toddler size. the girls and boys have no hair. Only a mop-cap for the girls and knit beanie cap for the boys The girls are 2 ft tall and the boys 28 inches high. I have never heard of anyone washing them before, and think it might not be suitable. Don't know why spot cleaning wouldn't work though. I pre wash everything but the doll bodies, as they are stuffed and not likely to shrink if put into a sterilizer (for whatever reason). Right now I am pretty sick with 'bronchitis', so not up to sharing the pattern for a few days . Since it is my design, I'd appreciate if a tag were used that said DOLLS FOR SICK KIDS BY VICKEY. I could send a cloth template for each body and a template for the dresses (girls are topsy turvy). The boys wear a size 12 months clothes. The girl dolls are pricey to make from scratch. Just let me know if I can help.

Most of my dolls have gone to kids with cancer, but there were exceptions. If there is a child in need, or exonerating circumstances for an elderly person, we'd (hubby and I) be glad to send out a doll.

Vickey Stamps
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
pal

I've been making doll hair using tee shirts. clip up the side of the shirt an inch and then pull it across the bottom. You will get a long strip (like yarn). I cut them into strips and sew them down the center, as in making a doll wig with yarn - then sew them on the dolls head. After they are sewn, pull each one and it will stretch and curl. Very cute and touchable.