Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dreaming of owning a home.... >

Dreaming of owning a home....

Dreaming of owning a home....

Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Now is the time to buy a house. Prices are low.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM

If you get to the point of actually looking for a home, this is the best advice I got when I was home shopping. Get a "homeowners warranty". If something breaks, needs repair, or replacement, and I have it covered, then it only costs me $60! The warranty in my area is about $350 per year. It paid for itself before 6 months had passed. I had three house calls by plumbers, and 2 by electricians the first year. The savings to me is staggering!

PS -You have to buy the warranty during the purchase process.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Is his job pretty stable. Maybe something is going on there that he is afraid he could loose his job or downsizing. My daughter in law lost my son 6 years ago. She had to finish raising 3 children[ last one will be in college]and she lost her job about 7 months ago,trying to live from unemployment. She said wherever she goes she is told she is over qualified. She has downsized where she lives and doesn't know what else to do. So maybe he is worried about something or just really scared about this economy. I can't say I blame him but good luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
If you have to get "his consent" to look at a brochure, you are not in a very healthy relationship.
Do you work? Are you both saving? Seems to this old woman, that you have to do more than have a dream and if he isn't interested in your dreams then you have a huge problem.
Ditto! I am frustrated beyond words by women who let men decide whether they can have a pet, paint the living room, rearrange the furniture. There is a big problem in those relationships. I took a bus tour several years ago and sat with three recent widows, all of whom were remodeling their kitchens and buying new furniture that "my husband wouldn't let me have." I recently met a woman at an automobile repair shop. She was cradling a puppy. "My husband wouldn't ever let me have a dog," she said. "I got this puppy a week after the funeral."

Thirty or more years of living with a despot does not appeal to me. I don't believe I would wait for him to die before I got the house I want. froggyintexas
Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 PM

wow.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Is there a possibility his job is not as secure as he leads you to believe? You both need to sit down and have a serious
talk about your future.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Do keep in mind that salesmen will always tell you "they're going fast." It's a standard pitch to get your commitment. I agree with almost everyone here that buying a home is probably wise however and also with the few that worry about the whole "consent" issue. It always concerns me to hear a woman use phrases like, "My husband won't let me . . ." or I need to get my husband's approval." Marriage is, or should be, a partnership, not a dictatorship.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Wow, this is so sad. Marriage should be an equal partnership where you should feel free to talk to him & make your feelings known.

If he's so content in a rental it's prob. because if something goes wrong all he has to do is call the landlord. In a house of his own, he's the one responsible for upkeep & repairs.
Forget the "consent" thing & put your big girl panties on & go for it. Tell him what you've done & that it's what you're interested in & you'd like for him to get onboard with you.

I don't mean to sound bossy really I don't. I'm just trying to give you a little kick in the starter. LOL
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
just remember, Suze Orman now says that owning your own home is the biggest financial mistake you can make in this economy!
What a crock. The low prices combined with the low interest rates make this one of the absolute BEST times in history to buy a house.
I agree what a crock.you are paying rent anyway.my daughter bought a home 4 yrs ago and it has a payment with taxes and insurance of 100 a month less than rent.she can paint rooms any color she wants to.if you can afford it try to talk to him.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Don't sign anything with the developers. Sounds like pushy salesmanship and I would be very hesitant to buy from them. Don't overbuy. Being house poor stinks. We are looking to downsize in the near future. I always envisioned lots of kids but I we have 2 boys and 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and more room downstairs than we need. I will be looking for a 3 bedroom rancher soon.