Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dreaming of owning a home.... >

Dreaming of owning a home....

Dreaming of owning a home....

Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

You did the right thing in going to get information on your own.Just be persistent about it in a nice way:) My husband and I have been married for over 40 years and I still like to tease him that we would still be living in my parents' apartment, where we lived for about the first 6 months of our marriage, if I hadn't kept after him. And don't worry about talking to the builders without telling him before hand. Sometimes we put those restrictions on ourselves. Hang in there!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Seems to me that you both need to sit down and have a real conversation on the topic of buying a house. Maybe there are valid reasons he is not "ready" but whatever it is you both need to be on the same page. I wish you the best, let us know :lol:
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM

This is a great time to buy a house. It never hurts to look at them and see whats out there. Try taking him to a couple open houses. Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm not sure what it's like in Texas but in Florida there are many houses and condos for sale for very reasonable prices. If you have good credit and secure income(s), it may be the right time to make the move. On the other hand, it could be that something else is on your husband's mind. Hope you can have some healthy conversations together soon.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM

I think that I would look at homes that have had all the bugs worked out of them. Some of the new ones may have terrible flaws in them. But if you insist on a brand new one, then go for it.
If you know anyone who inspects new and old houses for insurance companies, that is the person to talk to. I did that when a family member wanted to buy a house in one of the new developments right out of town. He told me one group cut corners and those houses would have some serious problems down the road and were being made to clean them up, but the other out of town group had a very good reputation, and he passed all of them. They bought one of those houses and are still pleased at it, 2 years on.
I'd do as others suggested, have a good talk with your DH. Maybe he's worried about a health problem he doesn't want to bother you with. Or perhaps he suspects that he may lose his job, or you might. Straight talking is the only thing to do when one of a couple wants something and the other one does not.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Also you will save on Income tax. Yes, I think you could buy a house and not be in a financial bind. The old rule was - price of house equal to 2.5 times your yearly salarey. I don't think you will go wrong to buy a house. You only have to make each month's payment the same as your rent. You don't have to think that 130,000 is hanging over your head all the time. I am not a realtor but bought my first house at 21. Reading the financial columms in the newspaper helped me to understand that it was a good deal. I am now in my 4th house.
Don't let him see that you were talking on here, he will feel pressured and balk just like horse. I will stop preaching now and wish you GOOD Luck with your decision.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM

My husband is the direct opposite. DH would not even consider renting. To him, it was just throwing money out the window. We bought our home 25 years ago and it about 5 years from now, it will be paid for!!!!! It is small, only 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, but it is perfect for us. What we owe is less than most people pay for a down payment. We consider ourselves very lucky. If the worst came and DH lost his job, I could still make our house payments without any problems.

You can get insurance that would pay off your loan if something happened to your or your DH. It may be expensive, but something to consider. My parents had it and it paid off our home when my Daddy died.

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM

IF you can't talk to your mate, who can you talk to?
Why don't you try not eating out so much as he expressed that as a concern? Show him you have your heart set on it.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 PM

The only advice I would give, besides that keeping the lines of communication open with your husband is THE MOST important thing you can do...is be careful with these new housing developments. They talk pretty...but make sure they tell you all about the home owners association fees you will probably have to pay ON TOP of your mortgage. And the fact that you will probably have to pass everything by the association right down to what color flowers you can plant by your walkway (and IF you can plant flowers by your walkway.) And the fact that as the development grows, so will your property taxes.
Yep...you guessed it, my Hubster and I bought in a development. The house was amazing and we LOVED it, but we couldn't afford to keep it because of the mounting hidden costs. We lost out big when we tried to sell it. The developer was underselling all the homeowners trying to sell.
However, I think that you shouldn't do too much leg work without including him. This is a decision you BOTH need to make TOGETHER! You need to tell him how you feel. Just cuz he gets upset, doesn't mean there is a problem in your marriage, just means you need to find a more effective way to communicate with him.
Good luck. I share your dream of having a home someday. (We have land...but can't build.)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
They talk pretty...but make sure they tell you all about the home owners association fees you will probably have to pay ON TOP of your mortgage.
Sorry, but if this was a surprise to anyone looking at an HOA or condo development, then that was a pretty uninformed buyer.