Drenched in the South

Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM

I'm from south Louisiana, too. We had to sandbag and use pumps to keep our houses from flooding. We had tremendous parish, community, and farming support. The amount of help we received was overwhelming. It's wonderful how neighbors help one another in times of need. Where exactly do you live? I live on the west side of Mississippi in Iberville Parish.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM

I am finally getting a few minutes to sit and chill. In the past 6 days we have completed salvaged undamaged items and gutted out walls and floors in my daughters house. We have gatered memories and boxed my moms house. Her house, my childhood home, is not repairable. Mom is 86 and it breaks my heart that she has to leave it. My sewing room is now her new home. Our lives are so changed and there will be more to come as these days go on.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:49 PM

so sorry for all of you that are experiencing this--either yourselves or your families. Living in "tornado alley" we've seen disaster, but I don't think ANYthing is as destructive and a mess as flooding--so please know my thoughts are with you.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SSStitches View Post
I am finally getting a few minutes to sit and chill. In the past 6 days we have completed salvaged undamaged items and gutted out walls and floors in my daughters house. We have gatered memories and boxed my moms house. Her house, my childhood home, is not repairable. Mom is 86 and it breaks my heart that she has to leave it. My sewing room is now her new home. Our lives are so changed and there will be more to come as these days go on.
So very sorry this happened, but grateful that your mom has a daughter to open her home to her. I hope you all have as easy an adjustment as possible and glad she was not hurt.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:25 AM

I haven't been doing much quilting the last several weeks - and really miss it!! I've been busy (doctor's appointments, happily spending time with family, and cleaning out clutter and doing home repairs). I've set aside a few days for this coming week and I am NOT going to let anything interfere with quilting time. We have some thunder storms (today and a couple of nights ago) but don't know what next week's weather will bring. So very sad to see the folks that have had floods. Next week I'll pretend I'm rained or snowed in and quilt away. I've got my "chick flicks" lined up and am going to try and make some progress on my Dear Jane quilt.