Driving

Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 PM

YaY! My 17 year old daughter got her drivers license today! So excited for her! Now we have to start looking for another car. Right now three of us are sharing one car. Of course we can't afford the gas for one right now.
I think I like staying home and quilting. ;)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM

You should be thrilled, the kids we know don't seem to want to drive...we can't imagine it, we both couldn't wait!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ImSvd1
YaY! My 17 year old daughter got her drivers license today! So excited for her! Now we have to start looking for another car. Right now three of us are sharing one car. Of course we can't afford the gas for one right now.
Good for her! My oldest DGS who is 19 1/2 and in college still isn't driving, and he has a 10 year old Lexus waiting in the driveway for him. His brother who just turned 17 can't wait. He got delayed because he hasn't been able to practice parallel parking (do they still do that?), and his mother hit a deer with his 6-year old Jaguar; so it's being repaired. Kids these days.... The first car I had that was all my own was a 1985 Thunderbird that I bought with money from the inheritance from my mother, and it was used. My kids had their own cars before I did.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by ImSvd1
Good for her! My oldest DGS who is 19 1/2 and in college still isn't driving, and he has a 10 year old Lexus waiting in the driveway for him. His brother who just turned 17 can't wait. He got delayed because he hasn't been able to practice parallel parking (do they still do that?), and his mother hit a deer with his 6-year old Jaguar; so it's being repaired. Kids these days.... The first car I had that was all my own was a 1985 Thunderbird that I bought with money from the inheritance from my mother, and it was used. My kids had their own cars before I did.
We made her wait until the one before her could afford insurance. Now that she is working, she can. They don't have to parallel park here in Ala. they just do a three point turn.
We are making them buy their own cars too. We help them, but they make the payments and keep up the insurance and upkeep on the vehicle. They have to be responsible.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 PM

I have a 26 year old stepson who is not the least bit interested in driving...says he doesn't need a licence!? I guess not, when you have public transport and friends to drive you around. I can't understand it myself. I hated having to drive him around when he was living here and I used to get quite cranky about it..lol
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
I have a 26 year old stepson who is not the least bit interested in driving...says he doesn't need a licence!? I guess not, when you have public transport and friends to drive you around. I can't understand it myself. I hated having to drive him around when he was living here and I used to get quite cranky about it..lol
I overheard my daughter the other day saying Nick, the 19 year old will be driving this summer lots, before he has to go back to school in the fall, a 7 hour drive from home. Her problem was that she didn't INSIST that he learn to drive, because she had her mother(me) to cart him to rugby practice and back home every day during rugby season. She had only to cart him on weekends. Now she is driving him back and forth to college, the picture changes. My mother and I learned to drive in the same year, when I was 16.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Congrats to your DD!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Congrats to her and to you for more free time instead of taking her everywhere :lol:
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM

My older son couldn't wait to drive, but my younger was in no hurry. Even after getting his license he hated driving. He now lives in NYC and loves the accessible public transportation.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

I'd much rather stay home and quilt lol