DST

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by calano1
What is this Daylight Saving Time???
I understand you set your clock one hour forward and later (winter?) you turn it back ..... but WHY do you do it???
The original idea was to help the farmers, so they could work in the fields longer. But I don't know if anyone noticed, but tractors have headlights now. One evening I was driving past a farm where they were bringing in the wheat and the combine had huge lights lighting up the whole area.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Thanks, grann of 6!
It's nice to "know" things, and understanding the why's and how-to's is even better.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 AM

I remember it being introduced officially during the big oil crisis backin the mid 1980's with the reason being to save energy. People would delay using lights an hour later in the evenings. However, the whole thing even at that time was, so what? Now we have to use the lights in the mornings to get ready for work and school? It was refered to as an oxy-moron.

I find this true, as a week ago alarm came on as the sun was rising and I had nice sunshine shining in the house to get ready by. Now I awake in the dark and it is dawn when I leave for work, as my automatic headlights come on. As for the evenings, the kitchen faces the east so I still need light to cook, and later when I sew I still use the same lights at my sewing station even though I face the west, so as far as a household goes, I don't see much advantage. Plus, as the link here says, kids have to wait for school bus in the dark in some countries and are scared.
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/...ng-debate.html
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM

we can all blame ben franklin. it was originally his idea. i think he thought of it just after he was struck by lightning during his electricity experiments, but that's just my opinion... (it was presented as an anonymous satirical article while he was in france, to save on candle use--but the idea caught on.) modern DST was suggested by a new zealander who was a bug collector--more daylight meant more bugs for him. that was back in 1895. germany and its allies used it in wwi, 1916, to conserve on coal. etc,etc,etc. it has been around for a long time, plaguing us. i think it's just a pain in the neck, now. some folks have an even lower opinion...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Moi! I do not like DST, for some reason. Don't ask me to be logical - I just don't like it.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 AM

My dogs didn't wake me up till 7 this morning. Getting up 'late" makes me grumpy and I haven't been able to get moving. It is 8:20 and I am not even dressed yet! It is dreary and drizzly out which doesn't help. I don't like this!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Me. I can't get up early enough. Should not complain as I'll be 83 years old next month and thank God every morning that I wake up.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I take about a week to adjust. I do like the extra time in the evening to work in the vineyard. It's pruning time!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM

I hate "spring forward" but LOVE "fall back" when I get that extra hour!! LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I despise the time changes as I feel it effects our biological clocks. Wish they would just stop doing it altogether!
Ariz. doesn't do daylight savings time so now I have to figure out the time difference everywhere else before I make ph. calls. So part of the yr. we're the same as my kids at home in Wash. & the other part, I have to think about it first.