E-Readers

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 AM

I guess I'm the minority here. I have the nook color and love it. I have had it for 5 months and have probably read over 100 books and haven't paid for any of them. You can get books from the digital library and read those as well. I dnt know how the kindle does with PDF books but the nook is great so we can read things like comic books with the kids. If you do a search of 0.00 in nook book section on barnes and noble you get over a million free books to choose from and every Friday they have a new free book to offer.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 AM

I have the Nook Color and just LOVE it. It has everything, including loads of apps, wifi, even the internet and e-mail. It's also an mp3, has a photo gallery, back lit, you can use it for audio books and on and on. I've had zero problems with mine. I checked out lots of other e-readers before I bought this one and I'm so glad I bought the Nook color. I know it's more expensive but so worth it!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 AM

My son-in-law gave me his old iPad and I love it. I download books with expired copyrights as well as books from our public library. I have trouble reading the small print in books, so the large print on the iPad is perfect for me. I quilt all day and read at night. Oh, often when I am quilting, I listen to an audio book on the iPad.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 AM

I got my Kindle at Christmas last year. Next to my sewing machine it's my favorite thing! You can download books from Amazon and other places and now you can download books from the public library! (At least we can in Sioux Falls, SD). It' truly is a great investment!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 AM

I have the Nook color and love it. I get E-mail on it and have had no problems with it. I love it because I download books from the library. I read a lot and coulldn't afford to buy all the books I read.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I work at a library and help people who have just bought an e-reader learn how to use them.

My pick would be Kindle over Nook because so many people have trouble with the touch screen on the Nook. The buttons are very small and many people end up being frustrated.

If the touch screen is not a problem for you, the Nook Color is awesome. It would be a better choice, in my opinion, if you were interested in things like quilt pattern books. They look much better in color.

Both Kindle and Nook are capable of borrowing books from Overdrive affiliated
libraries as of now.

I made the mistake of getting a quilt book on my iPad from Kindle. The patterns and templets can't be printed and they don't size right on the page!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM

[quote=pamesue][quote=Peckish]
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Also if you really don't like advertisements don't fall for the Kindle that sells for a few bucks cheaper because it includes advertisements that will show up on your Kindle.
These advertisments don't affect your reading at all.You don't know they're there until you turn your kindle off. Well worth saving $25.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM

I have a kindle 3G and I can download books anywhere - not just places with wi- fi. I think you can only download kindle books, but I haven't found anything yet that I can't get on kindle. they have all price ranges - free and up. While it's not backlit, it's very easy to read.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM

I have a Kindle and just love it. I have my whole library in one small package. It is perfect for traveling. I have only purchased from Amazon, but they have a huge selection to choose from.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Kindle is coming out with a color version in November, if you are also interested in color. I have a second generation Kindle and I love it!!! Amazon has hundreds of books to choose from. I can't imagine that you would not be able to find any book in e form there. I have searched for certain books that I wanted to download to my Kindle that weren't available in electronic form. It is up to the author to decide if they want their book to be electronic as well. I have so many books on my Kindle that I still haven't read and keep adding more as I see something that I think I would like to read. Love my Kindle. Thinking about getting the color one. Maybe for Christmas. Only $199.