E waste

Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Default E waste

I hate adding to E waste but lightning fried my microwave. We looked into getting it fixed but that is going to be about $200. Our insurance deductible is $500 so I am shopping for a new microwave and feeling guilty.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 AM

We are putting off getting a new microwave, the plastic door near the handle is cracking. But after carpet, a new disposal and a new dishwasher we are giving the Visa card a breather.

As a matter of fact our old DW is going to be sent off to be recycled tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

In my town there are people who will come to my house and take anything for scrap recycling at no cost. They take all metals, cast iron, electronics, motors, etc. If your town has a community page on FB, ask their first before letting it go to a landfill. Good luck.
peace
Old 06-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I got this Panasonic at Costco for $99.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Cou.../dp/B005BFZ66C
I really like it. My best friend bought the same model without knowing what I had bought and it was the same one at Best Buy for a little more.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Do check with your area landfill. Ours has a section for recycling appliances and the like-and you can put it there for free.
Hope it helps~
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

yep, wonder why it's too expensive to fix things these days? puts people out or work. we must buy new items. no choice. good luck.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
Do check with your area landfill. Ours has a section for recycling appliances and the like-and you can put it there for free.
Hope it helps~
Same with our "transit station", it's what the county calls it. All it consists of is a few dump trailers, some metal containers for recyclables and a pay booth. When the trailers are full a truck hooks up to them and its off to the main landfill in Bend. The recycle containers are tagged for different things like, electronics, cardboard, appliances, batteries, paints/oils, glass as well as old tires.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM

I don't know if it is common, but our town has a hazardous waste facility for paints, oil etc. that are hard to dispose of easily. When we took paint in for recycling, we were surprised to find they also took electronic items. We happily loaded up old computer and stereo equipment but they also took old appliances as well. Perhaps check if you have something similar?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes like the other day, I didn't feel like heating up a slice of pizza for lunch. I got a skillet out put it on the stove and just warmed it up that way. like the old days. DH fixed up his old grill (rebuilt it) using pieces from another. He asked what I felt about some "campfire breakfast" . Sounded good to me. Heated up bacon and sausage while the coffee did it's thing. Threw couple eggs in and we had a great breakfast. So if all else fails and you are able, campfire!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
yep, wonder why it's too expensive to fix things these days? puts people out or work. we must buy new items. no choice. good luck.
Planned obsolescence. Wanna pay for the labor to fix things? People crab about. "Service" calls.

Sandy