EARTHQUAKE

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by barbo117
Felt strong earth quake in south eastern Pennsylvania. Every one here very nervous as we have an atomic power plant 3 miles away. Tv, dishes and lights all rattled and swayed. Couldn't believe that it was happening. All major cities including Baltimore, 35 miles away, are evacuating high rise buildings due to fear of aftershocks. Hope everyone is ok.
I'm in northern York County and I was sitting outside at our pool reading. At first the chair started shaking and I'm looking around to see if the wind started blowing really hard. No wind...so continued reading and a few seconds later everything was shaking. The water in our pool was sloshing from side to the other...immediately knew it was an earthquake. There have been several earthquakes about 10 mile from us...minor ones...in the past couple of years. So I thought it happened there...called a friend and when she said around Richmond, VA I thought...OMG.

Called my hubby at work about 8 miles away and he said he didn't feel it but others there said they did. Called my son who does landscaping and he said 3 of them were working about 12 miles from me and none of them felt it either. Strange since my friend's daughter works in that area in a high rise office building and said the building was shaking.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Felt it in Windsor, CT too. It was cool. My first earthquake. Can we have another, it was kinda fun.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you will get very many folks out there that want to join you!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Felt it in Windsor, CT too. It was cool. My first earthquake. Can we have another, it was kinda fun.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you will get very many folks out there that want to join you!!!
hehe I would! I grew up in San Diego - we had them all the time, with a lot larger number! This was a minor one. When they get up over 7.0 that is when they get nasty, furniture moves across the room and back, stuff not already off of shelves falls off, windows break.
I can remember being in bed asleep when one happened at 2 am - bed moved across the room and back, I sat up thinking ok am I going thru the glass window this time? I was on the second floor.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

They also had one near Raton NM - Trinidad CO this morning, 4.8, I think.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm in Pittsburgh at the moment and was sitting down when it happened. Some people have described it as "rocking and rolling," and that is exactly how it felt to me. It was as though the rocker was from left to right. I tilted first to the left, then the right, then the left again.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM

I was all shook up in PA....I thought the washing machine was spinning off balance, when the house was shaking, but...I didn't do any laundry yesterday! Then ,I thought, "Did my husband do a load of laundry?" Now you know how crazy the earthquake can make you....my husband would never do a load of laundry!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 AM

I was sewing here in the Finger Lakes of NY when my room started shaking. The tv was dancing. Had to be scary at the center.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 AM

I felt it here in Raleigh,NC too, now hurricane upon us, I think mom nature is mad!!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 AM

I am about 25 miles from there. At the time I was on the sixth floor of an old building, and wondered if it would stay standing. Luckily no real damage. My home is between here and there and had several items knocked over and off of shelves, but no real damage luckily. Just reminds me why I don't want to live in CA.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Very unusual. I always say I would rather live in earthquake country then deal with the hurricanes and tornados that cross so much of the eastern part of the country. The largest memorable one for me was the 89 earthquake in the Bay Area where San Francisco really received quite a bit of damage and the bay bridge partially collapsed. We lost 3 foot of water from our pool, but that was it and no electricity that night.