Education of today's youth

Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

I haven't read everyone's posts yet, but I had a really sad event happen a few weeks ago. At work a kindergarten teacher come in to buy fabric for curtains for her classroom. She said she needed my help to figure out how much she would need. Normally this is a common request even coming from regular sewers. However, this young (fresh out of college) lady looked at me and (seriously) asked, "How many inches are in a foot?" I looked at her and said "12". Her reply to my facial expression???? "It's ok. we don't teach that in kindergarten so I don't need to know it."
Old 12-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Yuck! Glad my kids are out of school.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 PM

I agree with Lisa_wanna_be_quilter. I am 61 and in the sixties, it was almost as though nothing existed after WWII, just a rush to end the school year. US History 101 and 102 would be refreshing but I almost can hear the teachers groan, oh no not another subject. The more I learn the more I understand I do not have near the grasp of what I need to know about school subjects, but I want to learn more. Just my naps get in my way, hee hee heeee.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, the politicians (who know absolutely nothing about education) keep putting more and more mandates on the schools. There is very little time to cover anything in depth and teach to mastery. It's the 11th commandment -- thou shalt follow the pacing guide. Couple that with parents who are incapable or unwilling to turn off the electronic babysitters and you have problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

It's sad what our kids are not learning in school.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 PM

The saddest part of this whole situation is this. If we, as adults, do not stand up and say enough is enough, then we have no one to blame but ourselves. We need to get back to the basics of education. I went to a 3 room country school and the education that I received was so much better than the education that my children received at an expensive private school. Now when I see the educations that my grandsons are getting, or should I say not getting, I could sit down and cry. When are we going to learn that bigger and more modern is not necessarily better? When are we going to learn that the basics of reading, wrighting, arithmatic and history should not be tampered with? Or are we going to wait until we have an entire generation that is so far behind that it will take years, maybe even generations to get back on track? Education should be turned back to the individual states and superintendents to over see. Should there be basic testing that all kids need to pass? Absolutly! Should a child be passed on to the next grade simply because the rest of his classmates are. Absolutly not!! If we do not stand up and make ourselves heard, we are doing the greates disservice that we can do to our children. Like so many other things, it is time to take back our childrens educations and the educational system!! I am not blaming the teachers. There a lot of very dedicated men and women out there, but they can only teach what they are allowed to teach. I totally agree, the dumbing down of America has got to stop! I only leads to a lose, lose situation.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

And these will be the leaders of our country!!!!??????
Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 AM

When I was in High School I didn't learn all that much about World History. Most of it was all about Texas. They even told us that the Texas flag is the only State flag that could be at the same height as the US flag.
When I got much older I found out that was not true. If the flags are on the same pole then the US flag is on top. If they are on seperate poles of the same height- then the US flag is to be placed to it's own right. The State flag can be at the same height and same size- none may be larger.In either case 1 pole or 2 the US flag should be the first to be raised and the last to be lowered.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 AM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to the source of that information and let them know you learned the truth.

I did that, as tactfully as possible, with my daughter's guidance counselor from high school. He would not acknowledge publicly in the program for the Baccalaureate that she was accepted at a prestigious college, saying she wouldn't make it there. Guess what? She was a Biology Honor Society gal.

The mother of a friend of hers was told she should only consider beauty school, as that was all she could aspire to. That girl has just completed her Phd in Psychology.

I think I got my point across.

So sorry you were shorted on your education.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
DH just came home and boy was he in a state. He had stopped at one of the fast food restaurants for a bite and he got an emotional side with his happy meal. The gal at the order desk asked him: "So what's a Powmeea?" Pat had NO idea what she was talking about. She points to his lapel pin "POW MIA." He told her that it was a POW MIA (even spelled it out for her) pin and she asked: "From WWII?" Pat: "NO! Vietnam!" The gal: "Where is that?"

Pat is still muttering about what they teach and don't teach our youths these days. I told him he was just upset that she thought he was old enough to be in WWII.
I just showed your post to my husband, He says to tell Pat "been there, done that" and "Welcome Home".