Education of today's youth

Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
And these will be the leaders of our country!!!!??????
Just thinking the same thing!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
bj

One thing that people can do to help this situation is volunteer in their local schools. There is always a need for folks to mentor or tutor kids. I had a granddad who came in every week to read to my class for 3 years (I had one of grandkids 3 years in a row). Some years, dads and moms came in every week to work with a small group. I've had parents I could call who would come in and help with art projects. Offer your services as a guest speaker when the students are studying something you are knowledgable or passionate about. For several years, thanks to kids and grandkids in the school, we had a family that would come in at the end of the year when we studied Hawaii to teach our 4th graders how to hula. They'd probably still be doing it, but they moved back to Hawaii. I guess there are schools out there that discourage parent involvement, but my school could always find a place for helpers.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM

I am a substitute teacher and sometimes, I am appalled at how young people today talk/ treat their elders. That was never allowed when I was growing up, severe consequences would happen at home, if we got in trouble at school, or were disrespectful out in public TO ANYONE. That was something that we just didn't do. How sad it is that these things are happening in our society today. It is amazing to me that we grew up with so little and yet we know common courtesy and young people of today have everything and show little/no respect.