Education of today's youth

Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Power Poster

DH just came home and boy was he in a state. He had stopped at one of the fast food restaurants for a bite and he got an emotional side with his happy meal. The gal at the order desk asked him: "So what's a Powmeea?" Pat had NO idea what she was talking about. She points to his lapel pin "POW MIA." He told her that it was a POW MIA (even spelled it out for her) pin and she asked: "From WWII?" Pat: "NO! Vietnam!" The gal: "Where is that?"

Pat is still muttering about what they teach and don't teach our youths these days. I told him he was just upset that she thought he was old enough to be in WWII.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Power Poster

I know that they don't do a good job here either. It is very sad that the youth today have no clue.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 AM

I had an incident where went to a high school bake sale and bought $4.00 worth of items and handed the girl a twenty. She turned to her dad and said "dad im going to need you to help me make change."
I was dumbfounded!
It really is sad to think of what children are growing up not knowing these days.
Hugs
April
Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 AM

So much for the education system! Kids should know some history. The Viet Nam war was not that long ago.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 AM

I'm on my third kid taking history in our school district. Fourth if you want to count me. The problem with US History is they ALWAYS start with the colonies and NEVER get past World War II before the school year is over.

I understand that the early history is important, too, but maybe we could start the early stuff in 8th grade and continue on in high school instead of starting over.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 AM

May have been taught, may not have been listening. I am amazed at the change in today's students. They truly need to be told, "this is important, you need to listen." Even then, it's touch and go.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

So many times when I tell people that my father was at Pearl Harbor, they ask "Did he die?". Yikes!! That would make me (at the very least) 68. I am 55. What year do they think Pearl Harbor was attacked???
Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Martina, the kids don't have a clue on lots of issues. I'm really glad my DGS reads the Newspaper & keeps up with politics. He's only 14, but my DS & DIL help both of them and make them stretch themselves in their studies. My DGD is 17, going on 21 (I think). Tell Pat maybe he taught the young lady a lesson.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM

School is not the only place kids learn. It is not going to get better without a big turn around over who is responsible for education. Truth is we are all going to have to do a better job raising our kids.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm not blaming technology here, but part of the problem is too many computer and hand held games, constant use of mobile phones and not enough participation in the real world. We really are not doing generation Y any favours by encouraging them to stay inside and hook into cyber-world at the expense of "reality".

Not only is their education suffering, but their social skills are appalling to non-existent. They also have high rates of depression and suicide, which, when we were growing up, was pretty rare. Economics also keep them home longer (some into their 30's). I left home at 17, equipped with life-skills, savings and never went back.

They don't seem to go on dates like we did, it's all hooking up on the internet or via phone, rarely seeing each other, just texting etc. they even dump each other via text and bullying is rife...all by electronic media.

We don't allow mobiles to be switched on during family gatherings or mealtimes. Woe betide any person who makes or accepts a call mid-conversation! It's up to us, as parents or members of the community to educate the young...I have no problem "correcting" other people's offspring if they are unaware of, or flouting manners. I am also not adverse to giving them some basic general knowledge or math skills...I think it is a shame if we allow them to become "lost" and unaware of the world around them and the people in it.