Election judges

Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
do you mean voting in local and national elections or for quilt shows?
Yes, I'm talking about local and federal elections. It will be interesting to see how this works......the next election here is in March..and there is a mandatory class in November about all this new legislation dreamed up by our state public officials......
Old 10-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
My 17 yr old granddaughter, worked the at the last pres. election. She did not doing anything with the actual voting, but directed them to the right line, She said it was a honor to have a part in the process before she could actually vote.
no these high schoolers will not be greeters and directors, they will be seated at the table where the actual voting procedure begins - verification of legality of voter, giving of the ballot, and one to monitor the computerized voting machine. And on top of this possible fiasco - the board of elections has decided not 5 judges per precinct, but will be down to 3, and at the end of the day,after all is counted, sealed, this all has to be driven to the county seat, which in this case is about 25 miles away...by one judge from each party in the vehicle...about 8:00pm - if ballot count matches computer count, on dark country roads..wonder which teen will be the driver!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Imho, it is a good thing to get our young citizens interested in public service and responsibility of working in this important arena of voting. Learning this responsibility early could make a huuuuge difference in the direction our country is moving.
peace

Edit: I don't really think the voting board is considering turning the entire voting system over to the youth of our country. It is a learning experience for them, they will be mentored and how else do they learn except by doing.

Last edited by ube quilting; 10-15-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chris Denno View Post
I disagree, I think they lack knowledge and common sense. They seem to know about music, TV, movies and sports....and not much else. Here 18 year old HS students can vote for the school budget even though they have NO part in paying for it. To me that is just wrong.

"Kids that age are smart!"
That's precisely why I think it's a good idea to get them involved in the voting process. We adults can help broaden their horizons.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 AM

Some High school kids are a lot smarter and sometimes better informed about government issues and yes even voting than most adults.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:05 PM

The polls in Iowa have high-school helper when it is a busy election day (not a primary or school board election). They check names as the voters come into the polling place. One of the things they might catch is if a person is in the right precinct. Here again, nothing with the actual voting process. It is hard to get "mature" volunteers because retirees are too busy with other activities.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 AM

I think some folks here are seriously underestimating the intelligence of teenagers.

When I was sixteen I was running my family's household, including handling the checkbook and doing the family taxes. I surely could have handled comparing ID's and checking names off of a list.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think some folks here are seriously underestimating the intelligence of teenagers.

When I was sixteen I was running my family's household, including handling the checkbook and doing the family taxes. I surely could have handled comparing ID's and checking names off of a list.
I don't think it's about intelligence. It's about life experience. How can someone who is not self supporting and paying their own taxes and still under the influence of teachers (who are sometimes good, sometimes just interesting in indoctrination) be capable of making real life decisions for other people? They haven't experienced real life no matter how "intelligent" they are. Are there exceptions? Yes. Are they the rule? No.

I take voting seriously and don't want someone who just thinks it's comparing ID's and checking off names on a list to be doing the job. I would prefer someone with a bit more maturity than your average teenager.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Will these teenagers be supervised? Or completely on their own? I am assuming they will apply for this "job" and be screened? Not just a class turned loose on election day? Some teenagers are quite serious regardless if they like music or TV. Sounds like age discrimination in the reverse. Some seem capable to compare IDs and check names off with someone with a lot of experience as backup. Do you need a life experience to go through this training and be supervised? Its like saying a man can't be a gynecologist because he can't have the life experience of having a baby. And some of them have life experiences, just not the ones maybe you approve of? We are training another generation of adults. Lets give them the opportunity, under supervision of course.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Will these teenagers be supervised? Or completely on their own? I am assuming they will apply for this "job" and be screened? Not just a class turned loose on election day? Some teenagers are quite serious regardless if they like music or TV. Sounds like age discrimination in the reverse. Some seem capable to compare IDs and check names off with someone with a lot of experience as backup. Do you need a life experience to go through this training and be supervised? Its like saying a man can't be a gynecologist because he can't have the life experience of having a baby. And some of them have life experiences, just not the ones maybe you approve of? We are training another generation of adults. Lets give them the opportunity, under supervision of course.
Well, that would be the problem, wouldn't it? They would need supervision which would require more volunteers. Here, they have enough trouble getting enough volunteers without having to have supervisors for children who are volunteering.

As to your gynecologist reference, I think that's a bit silly. I just feel that there are some jobs better done by adults. There are some areas that are training grounds and I don't feel that something as important as elections are the place to be training children.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-02-2017 at 01:26 PM.