Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: electric fireplace

Blog Entries

electric fireplace

I can't decide whether to have a wall mounted or floor mantel-type fireplace. I'd like opinions from you to haep with my decision. I am leaning towards wall mount but my living area is large and the mantel type may be a better choice. What are the pros and cons? Which type do you like and why?
    Thank you.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

I always thought that the mantel types were the nicest. A neighbor has a mantel one in her apt. Just make sure that it will give you the heat efficiently.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    My son has a unit that looks like a fireplace but it is movable which for them was a big plus. They had it in the living room but moved it downstairs to the TV room since it needed a but more heat.

Blog Entries
    I bought a floor one. The biggest advantage is that I can rearrange my living room or move it out to vacuum it out at will. I don't have to worry about working my furniture around an non moveable piece. I did have a problem finding one that was energy efficient and ended up having to order it online but that was a priority. I keep my TV on top of it
    Judy

The floor models are moveable and still look nice. They come with or without mantels. They are basically a space heater and not very energy efficient. The suck up a lot of electricity. We sold ours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    The floor models are moveable and still look nice. They come with or without mantels. They are basically a space heater and not very energy efficient. The suck up a lot of electricity. We sold ours.
    This is why I looked around and finally found one that was, they can be expensive to use
    Judy

we have a floor model electric fireplace which is also has cupboards on each side and place on top of fireplace for the tv gadgets and holds the tv on the top. We like it, give us a tv stand/place for movies/plus the cozyness of the fireplace

I have one that has a mantel and looks like a real fireplace. It is cost efficient to operate and has a thermostat so you can control the amount of heat generated. I love it.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

My friend got one that fits under her wall mounted TV. Main reason she wanted it there is because when she needs it, she is watching TV, and it is also next to the kitchen so helps that area also.

Remember heat rises, so if you put it up on a wall you lose some of the heat.

Whatever you decide a blower is a necessity to get heat distributed. My daughter installed a small gas log in her fireplace with no blower and it was useless.

We purchased a free standing electric fireplace with a mantle and space for the DVD player. We used it for a month and the electric bill went from $120 to to $260. It has a blower and was set on 70 degrees and our house is very small and well insulated. We now use just the flame setting and pretend it's warmWhen my brother saw it he said, "Geez, you bought a very large space heater!"

Blog Entries
    Thank you. You helped me make my decision.I have decided to go with the floor model.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

I have a floor model without a mantle. I built it a base and put on the hearth in front of the real fireplace. It looks very much like it is the fireplace, especially when it is turned on. It doesn't effect my electric bill much, but I don't use it 24 hours a day, either. Adjustable heat, choice of flames, timer, back lights (yick), option to hang on the wall, etc. I can also move it to access the wood burner if the power should go off. Works for me.