Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Elm Creek" books

Blog Entries
    The new one by this author is the Wedding Quilt-I've checked it out, and my opinion is-You don't skip 25 years in a series and get away with it, as a reader of all Jennifer's books I find this one tooooo expensive at $25.00 at this time and will wait for it to go on sale, or printed in paperback before I buy it cheaper-Marie Bostwick publishes a series of quilt books, which I have bought and seriously love-new one of hers to come out in May she tells me-Nell

I have read all of Jennifers books and the only two that I didn't like was Union Quilters way to much Americian history for me...half the places I would never know being Canadian and the Last book Wedding quilts she missed all the adventures she could have had with the kids growing up...maybe she will get back to it...
    I also love Marie Bostwick books prefer her paperbacks at a lower price and a very good read too...

Blog Entries
    I have read all of her books except for the latest one (The Wedding). Out of all the books I think the Aloha Quilt was the one I found to be hard to finish...and I didn't like the Union Quilters. I was very bored. I suggest you start at the very beginning of the series...I think it's The Quilter's Apprentice. This will help you meet the main characters right from the very beginning, and you might find that you DO enjoy them. Good luck!
    Last edited by Grandma Mary; 12-30-2011 at 09:00 PM.

My absolute favorite was The Lost Quilter, in fact I think I'll read it again! I also loved the Sugar Camp Quilt.
    No outfit is complete without cat hairs

I have 10 of her books and love them....can't wait to get the rest of the series....
    Buzzy Bee

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I can't get into these books. The story lines are OK but they tend to fizzle. I feel rather luke warm about the characters.

Blog Entries
    I started reading them from book 1 which is how I do all books that are in a series and I've loved each book. They keep you coming back for the next one because you want to know more about what happens; in the past and the future. I think that I've read about 13 of them so far and will order another on in the next few weeks. If you go to her web site you can acutally see all of the quilts she mentions in her books which I really like. I started reading them when I first got back into quilting so being able to go up and see what a certain block looked like was great.
    Judy

I thank all of you for your comments. Now I have to decide if I want to take the time (and money) to start at the beginning. It's that constant mention of "Elm Creek Quilters" that just makes me want to barf. No, I think I'll just pass on this series. I just can't imagine reading a whole series of books with that group mentioned 50 times per book.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Blog Entries
    Your tax dollars may have already paid for them -- check your public library system. An extra benefit is that you won't need more book shelves :-). I have our central library send a copy to my local branch.
    Bev in TX

I am with most of you about the books; lukewarm reception here. BUT I LOVE the fabric line: Elm Creek Quilts: Caroline's Collection by Jennifer Chiaverni. The quilt "Caroline's Chain" is featured in Jan/Feb 2012 issue of Love of Quiling. I've wanted the perfect quilt for a niece of mine and I think this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieT View Post
    The one I couldn't get into was the Union Quilters.....boring......
    Oh, I so don't agree! It wasn't as much about the quilters. There was a lot more about the Civil War, and it made me think that Jennifer could move on to a much wider readership with more historical novels like that one. She was wonderful with the earlier historical books, too, The Sugar Camp Quilt and The Lost Quilter.

I'd almost say they were my favorites, except she did such a wonderful job on most of the contemporary stories, too, showing things from multiple characters' perspectives and intertwining the plot lines so well. I really can't pick a favorite, though The Sugar Camp Quilt and the one about the first season of quilt camp would top the list.
    Yet another Lisa.

I also love the series, but agree that some are better than others! Aloha quilt I could not seem to get into, and received the wedding quilt, but not ead it yet. I like to read them in order so that I can get a feel for the author and learn about the characters. I have laughed and cried in them..they are my "I need to relax and unwind to an easy read book.'
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

I read the first few books in this series a long time ago (back when they were first being published) when I was first learning how to piece. It really made me want to learn more, and in fact, I bought the same 'how to' book that the author made her first quilt [wall hanging] from, and I made it--and all these years later finally got it quilted and hung up!

Now I am re-reading them, borrowing them from the library. I have just finished the second one, which I found very good (Round Robin). Good to know about the 'slow' books--now I won't feel guilty if I don't finish them when it's their turn!

I, too, like them because they are 'light' reading, but also interesting. At least the first few are.

Her later books have too much back and forth history, so I don't read her anymore. I love the Miss Julia series by Ann Ross.

I loved the earlier ones and have read them all. They started to run out of steam around the Wedding Quilt and the Aloha quilt. Maybe this storyline is done and she needs to begin another.

Blog Entries
    ECQ= Elm creek quilts it would seem to me..

Blog Entries
    With so many good books out there, and not enough time to read them, why waste your time?

I listened to the audio books and i loved them!!
    I checked out a couple from the library and my DH and I listened to them
    on a trip we took to Charleston, SC and back.
    He laughed on the way home and said if anyone would have told me i would be
    listening to books about quilting and enjoyed them i would have told them they
    were crazy. LOL
    I am not perfect and I do not make perfect quilts.
    I do make quilts with love and they are meant to be loved.
    If i can transfer those feelings with needle and thread,
    that makes me happy.

I have only read 'Sugar Camp Quilt" in this series. It was pretty good. Not so good that I've read any of the others but not bad.

I read "Buried in Quilts" by Sara Hoskins Frommer. I really enjoyed it and have since read others in that series. It's a mystery and I LOVE mysteries.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I have read a few and find them slow and slightly confusing. I put this down to not reading in the correct order but I have no intention of buying back copies.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I just finished "The Wedding Quilt" and it starts out with wedding preparations for one of Sara's twins. No you didn't miss a book someplace between this and "Aloha Quilt". It reruns labor and birth, growing up plus reviewing some of the other books. It wasn't one of her best books, and I agree "Aloha Quilt" lacked something.
    Fast-forward 5 years (Has it been THAT long?) I remember feeling the same about those last two books. So much repeating and back-flashing that I found myself skimming to get through it to finish. Since I read this series, I have read several mystery series centered around quilting or sewing groups. Never thought I'd find myself reading mysteries. Now I'm hooked.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a list of the characters of the Elm creek book series? I've looked on the internet and have not found one. I read a few books several years back, and am reading The Winding Ways Quilt, but don't remember who is who.

I did a little looking and didn't find anything either. But on many sites there are lists of the books with a synopsis of each. Maybe one like this will help?
    https://www.fictiondb.com/author/jen...novel~2256.htm

I'm making my way through the series, I'm a couple of books before you, Circle of Quilters will be my next one and it looks like it will have a number of new/continuing characters in it.

She just wrote a new book for the ECQ series. I hope it’s better than her historical books.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I started the first one The Quilter's Apprentice and couldn't finish it.
    I much preferred the Guidepost Patchwork Mysteries
    https://www.cozy-mystery.com/patchwork-mysteries.html
    Unfortunately they are not available at my local library so only read the first 12 since I found them at the thrift store.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast