Embroidery help

Old 01-06-2015, 06:42 AM

Default Embroidery help

Have been asked to embroider Bin and Vino on 2 aprons. What size letters would you use. What placement and stabilizer would you use.
Thanks,
Judy
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM

If you are talking about a bib apron I did one and put the letters in the center of the bib part, I used a tear away with a fabric softener sheet under it. As for the lettering that's up to you, I did about a inch and a half. I did a test on a scrap then layed it out on the apron to Make sure I liked it. It's worth the thread to make sure!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Why not just print diff sizes of fonts and place on apron to choose? Stabilizer depends on density of stitching and chosen fabric. Can you do a test run on scrap?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM

I agree about printing out different size fonts, audition you size and location. Depending on the fabric you are embroidering on, your stableizer is important. On a mid-weight cotton or cotton/poly blend apron a medium weight cut away or tear away would be fine, since the size and amount of lettering is not great. On aprons, I prefer cut away since it will hold the embroidery thought multiple washings. I do not understand the poster suggesting fabric softener sheets. Sorry, but I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using one. Products not intended to be used for embroidery stabilizer (such as softener sheets, coffee filters, Saran wrap, paper towels, Stretch and Seal etc.) may cause damage to your embroidery machine. The cost of repairing a machine that you may have paid thousands of dollars for, is not worth the few pennies saved by using these items. Yes, there are people who swear by those products, and have been lucky not having a problem, BUT, I have seen the damage (and have personally paid for repairs) and it is not worth it. Embroidery stabilizers have been produced and refined to give our embroidery a professional look and feel. You would never think of using olive oil instead of motor oil in your car, why use something as a stableizer for your embroidery that is intended to soften your laundry or wrap your leftovers in?

Last edited by Bneighbor; 01-06-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:13 AM

I did some bath towels for family members. Found fonts on Internet. printed them off on paper, traced them on freezer paper, ironed them on to towels. Out lined them with zigzag on towels and removed the paper. My letters were about 4 inches tall.

Last edited by gmcsewer; 01-07-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM

If you're talking about a full chef's apron that ties at the neck and back then I would put the embroidery on the front chest (bib) part. If one of the aprons if for a busty lady you might consider where the placement of Bin and Vino are. Place the name high or lower, you don't want it to look like she is naming the "girls". Use a medium weight cut away stabilizer, it will hold the stitches better after multiple washings. The size of the letters depends is personal taste, how big do you want them, how they look and if there will be anything else embroidered on the apron.