Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Equipment - overkill - inadequate - appropriate >

Equipment - overkill - inadequate - appropriate

Equipment - overkill - inadequate - appropriate

Old 10-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Default Equipment - overkill - inadequate - appropriate

When it comes to purchasing/acquiring equipment/tools/supplies - it has taken me a while to learn what will be adequate/appropriate (and affordable!) for whatever it is that I need it for.

This does get to be "interesting" when DH and I try to get something new - he tends to want to go on the cheap side/low end - and I tend to want to go on the higher end - which gets to be "interesting" because our income is "low end"

There are times when a low end/ comparatively inexpensive tool is the proper thing for a job.

Example: for some things a shovel is more appropriate than a huge steam shovel. And for some things, a spoon is more appropriate than a shovel - although while watching some people eat - - -

I have learned that for some types of sewing, sewing by hand is a more efficient way to accomplish a task rather than trying to use a $25,000 computerized long arm machine . Example: Sewing up that 1/2 inch seam that came open by a neckline -

Anyway - have you ever bought equipment that - after you got it home - went into the "I sure did not have that adequately thought out" pile?

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-15-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I like to research and mull over new purchases. I do not impulse buy. I also don’t throw anything away until I have exhausted all ideas to recycle first.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM

I rarely buy on impulse. I think it over many times. If I purchase online, I read the comment section to see what others had to say about the item. That’s not to say I haven’t ever wished I hadn’t bought something. But I also must say I’m not the spender in the house. My DH is. When I would mention something he bought that wasn’t really necessary to my mother, she would always say something like, well he could be spending money in a bar or gambling it away. Gotta love my mom. Set me straight.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:13 PM

Like Tartan, I have the same school of thought...I research and sometimes over research, especially on bigger ticketed items. For example, before making the decision to purchase a longarm, I took every LA quilting class available, joined every FB group and yahoo group for reviews before pulling the trigger. I do the same for a wool pressing mat...I must be anal. LOL
Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 PM

My wife and I do research on larger purchases but we can both be impulsive when it comes to smaller things - especially gadgets. We need to learn to curb our enthusiasm for small things because They do add up!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 PM

no regrets--I really research any big ticket item and we've always been big savers, so it's a rare event that I have a splurge--if I do it's for something easily paid for.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:38 AM

I have bought with an overkill thinking from time to time. I try to go in the middle when it comes to the price though. It basically depends on how often I'll use it or if its a one time deal then I might go toward the low end. If I can borrow it from someone I'll do that too and make sure it goes back to that person in the same shape I received it.

At times like just a couple years ago I'd been using my dependable Viking Designer 1 combo machine since 2000 as it did what I needed at the time. Went to a class to check out the new Epic with no intention of getting it but after playing with it and a deal I couldn't pass up I traded my lovable D1 for the Epic. Then they gave me a bonus to buy more items for the machine. I went wild.....dummy me. Luckily most of my feet and hoops still fit the Epic so that was a plus and a deciding factor on the trade too. Afterwards a month or so later I decided it would be great to have both machines so one could embroider while I pieced on the other one. Problem was when I had taken it in to see if I could buy it back they claimed my screen died on it so maybe it was a blessing that I traded it in when I did. Anyway, now I try to curb my spending on items that I may or may not really need. I also play with power tools but have been lucky to find them at garage sales from folks I know and know the tools were properly cared for.

I did regret my over spending on items for the Epic as some I have yet to use and its been a couple years now.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:15 AM

Yeah, I have a few of these things I purchased that I spent more than $100 on that I discovered were not ever going to work for what they were intended for or just not sturdy enough to do what they advertised. I find on large ticket items I go toward the lower end of the scale. I will buy a used car instead of a new one and even a used quilting machine and not new. Even a very low end one. I have a Grace Original Frame and 1500se that I paid $400 for. It has given me years of use. It is down right now but that is nothing I just have to get it up and moving again. (I've been lazy about it). I look for the best deal all the time even if I have to wait and do a lot of research. It usually ends up the cheapest route.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM

This is slightly off topic, but relevant. I was an interior designer, high end, and found that the most expensive bathroom "jewelry" often didn't work as well as something I could buy at Walmart. Still, clients wanted the label, regardless.

I bought a longarm ruler set at a quilt show two years ago that I'm still going to learn how to use. Sometimes life gets in the way, but that purchase did give me lots of fun to think about.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Anyway - have you ever bought equipment that - after you got it home - went into the "I sure did not have that adequately thought out" pile?
I have several specialty rulers that definitely fit into that column. they cost enough that i am haunted by "guilt" for having not yet used them.

some of the dies i bought for my Studio cutter just gather dust. expensive enough that i kick myself when i see them just sitting in the rack.

luckily, though, most of the things i've bought and have never used - or that just didn't work out - were either inexpensive, returnable, or very much appreciated by the friends to who (whom? i never know which) i gifted them.