Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: essential oils for healing

essential oils for healing

Have any of you used these oils ? They seem to be very popular in my area right now. You use them topically on your skin or in a diffuser. Some can be mixed in a liquid and ingested. Just curious. Many people are 'swearing' by them,rather than synthetic drugs for all types of ailments. Just wondering if anyone else has used them.

Yes I do. I use them topically and diffuse them. For sinus , respiratory and stress and many other things. I love them.But you need to check with your doctor if you are on any meds to make sure they will enter act with each other. I use the young living brand. not all brands are made it ingest.
    Last edited by lb70542; 03-26-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Power Poster
    ​I have opened a vitamin E capsule to use on dry cracked skin. I avoid all air fresheners or diffused scents due to asthma.

Blog Entries
    You need to be careful when using these oils as they can be too strong for some people. It depends on the oil and the person!

Blog Entries
    I use tea tree oil for all my ailments, especially for skeeter bites and such.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lb70542 View Post
    Yes I do. I use them topically and diffuse them. For sinus , respiratory and stress and many other things. I love them.But you need to check with your doctor if you are on any meds to make sure they will enter act with each other. I use the young living brand. not all brands are made it ingest.
    what would you use for a terrible sinus infection?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I have just begun using the oils especially Frankincense oil. I have some skin growths and beginning last week I put one drop on each. They are reacting positively and drying up. That's just me.

Another thing to consider is whether you take prescription drugs and how they react. Some natural oils and herbs and even teas can have very serious interactions with medications. Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if there could be a problem. Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's always good for you. Also, different companies make very different strength compounds. I've discovered coconut oil, though, for many uses. It's great for cooking and for the skin and I don't think there is any down side to it.

I have read that apple cider vinegar is very good for lots of ailments including weight loss. Anyone tried it?

I don't and wouldn't use them and I for sure would not drink them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have used apple cider vinegar and honey for a sore throat. Taste nasty but does the trick. Mix equal parts of cider vinegar and honey and mix well. I will down it all at once and follow with a BIG glass of water.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Blog Entries
    When my daughter was here she was telling me about them said I first she didn't think anything like that would work .Well anyway one day at work she got a horrible headache, well headaches and 28 kindergarten children just don't do well together so anyway she said something and a teacher friend put some oil on her and her headache disappeared. One of her student mothers wanted to put certain oils and a diffuser in her room . Fyi for all those thinking about applecider vinegar use with caution I got sick from using it as a diet tool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    what would you use for a terrible sinus infection?
    After years of sinus blocks I saw this on Dr Oz. I found this on line and started using it about 7 years ago when needed. Not one sinus block since! They have a video and a CD. Watch it.
    http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.aspx

Blog Entries

We have started using oils. In fact, my husband is a distributor for oils. It does work. You do have to be careful about which oils to use. Youngliving oils are the way to go! You can get cheaper oils, but they are not as good as youngliving.
    Last edited by TacoMama; 03-27-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I have opened a vitamin E capsule to use on dry cracked skin. I avoid all air fresheners or diffused scents due to asthma.
    Same here. I was amazed at how quickly scrapes healed by using the vitamin e in a capsule. it's my "go to" for any scrapes, surface cuts. Helps avoid scarring, too, I think.

For sinus, I use a Neti pot daily with a baking soda/salt/water recipe, and it keeps my sinus clear. Once you have sinuses that are full, you may have to visit the doc to get a prescription.

As to the school thing, we were "banned" from using anything scented in classrooms due to so many children having asthma and needing inhalers (2nd grade, yet). They didn't ban us from using perfume, but that could be a problem, too. Just sayin'.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Suz
    On Dr. Oz yesterday, he said to use Lavender Oil on burns; not the blistering kind, but the red rashlike burns. I use Peppermint Oil on my temples and forehead for a headache. Just be careful not to get into the eyes. And I also use them in my homemade laundry soap. My wash "smella sooo good"!!!

I've started to use an oil for my Hot Flashes and for Relaxation. I can tell when I do not use them.
    I did not want prescription meds for Hot Flashes- I'm not getting old- I'm not getting old!!! But somehow I get them still.

Where is a reputable place to purchase oils?

Also, I heard that if not used correctly a neti pot(?) could cause some horrific thing that will eat the brain......

I was introduced to Youngliving oils many years ago. I have arthritus and problems with my knees. We tried different combinations of oils to find out which worked better for me. Peppermint and Lavendar are good for headaches and stress. And even used lavendar on my grandson to calm him down and relax. I have a chart with the different oils I use and for what purpose they will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Where is a reputable place to purchase oils?
    Check with Tacomama , altho I think you have to become a member to buy those. My Chiropractor sells some of a different brand too. Some grocery stores sell them , but I don't think they are as good.

Blog Entries
    A very dear friend of mine is very knowledgeable in this area. If she doesn't know the answer right away, she can find out. Visit her site and learn more about these oils.

www.robinlemon.com

I was dealing with some dental pain from a dry socket and she suggested the essential oil tea tree could help ease the pain -- and it did. You have to be careful about tea tree oil though, only in that there's a type you can use as I did in my mouth and the type you use externally. This is an amazing hidden gem the medical community really doesn't want you to know about.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    Check with Tacomama , altho I think you have to become a member to buy those. My Chiropractor sells some of a different brand too. Some grocery stores sell them , but I don't think they are as good.
    Again, my friend is a distributor of deTerra so I'm sure she can help you out. She's a single mom so could use some new customers. She has a passion for health and wellness and is a sweet person to deal with.

www.robinlemon.com
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on the oil and it's suggested use. Many are allergic to different oils. The only oils I ingest are cooking oils. Do not like the smell of coconut oil and I can live without coconut creams and such.

Thank you, Ladies, for all the interesting comments about the healing oils. I appreciate your insight and experiences. Keep them coming. I'm thinking of trying the doTERRA oils.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast