Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ever plant a perennial and then regret it? >

Ever plant a perennial and then regret it?

Ever plant a perennial and then regret it?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Not really a perennial and I didn't plant it...but two plant species in our garden drive me nuts. The previous owners must have thought Kikuyu Grass would be a good idea (NOT!) it has spread everywhere and sends its huge deep runners into all the garden beds and has even "escaped" onto the verge near the road...they also planted s variety of Tecoma...it suckers everywhere and is a monster to control. My plan is to eradicate the lot, but I don't use chemicals or poisons on our land...so I'm guessing I'll be at it for a while.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by lilpoohbearie
I bought my own mothers day hydrangia it was called lady in red. I was some new hybred. I love how they have such bushy heads. But do you think mine would bloom properly.NO! It is horrible I have cut it to the root and it grows back no matter what I do it does not bloom like it should!
I think they need certain kind of soil to bloom in blue or pink. Might have to add something to the soil. Unless I am thinking of something else........
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 PM

LILLIES! of every color imaginable were planted here when we moved in, I am in the process of removing them and taking them to my husbands grandmothers house. I have heard that it is a NIGHTMARE to get rid of these things.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Oh yes. Many years ago we bought this really cool plant for our desert rock garden. this year it was at an all time glory. Turned out to be a ground cover that started taking over our yard. One day DH decided to thin it out and became very ill. His eyes were burning so badly and they almost were swollen shut. And anywhere on his body where he had touched himself even after a shower (and yes...even there!!) started burning and stinging. This lasted for about 4 days.

One day at work he noticed this flyer posted on the wall about this noxious weed that was invading Utah and lo and behold there was a photo of our wonderful ground cover!! Turns out it is very dangerous and against the law to now have in your yard. It causes blisters, burning and can even cause blindness!

Well, it took several days to purge our yard of this and my DH and SIL had to wear all kinds of protective gear to get rid of this stuff. This stuff is so good at reproducing itself that we will be battling it for a long time as it has dropped seeds everywhere :(

I'm including a photo in case some of you unknowingly have some in your yard. It does well in many of the western states.

It is called Myrtle spurge and sometimes gopher spurge because it repels gophers. I wondered where all our gophers went! I thought our sonic things had finally started working :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95139.jpe  
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by lilpoohbearie
I bought my own mothers day hydrangia it was called lady in red. I was some new hybred. I love how they have such bushy heads. But do you think mine would bloom properly.NO! It is horrible I have cut it to the root and it grows back no matter what I do it does not bloom like it should!
I have a hydrangea and it was gorgeous this year. The blooms were pinkish lavender and it was loaded with flowers. Hydrangeas are a shade plant and if you're pruning it back any time after July you may be cutting off next year's flowers. I read that somewhere so started pruning as soon as the flowers were past peak. Seems to have worked great!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95141.jpe  
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM

Although not a perennial, have an agave plant the neighbors gave us, now it looks like there are 30, told can cook w/the leaves 3ft + spikey, wouldn't mind trying, but have no clue what to do with it. Needs moved to back of property, bet no one would jump over :) HeHe
Do have somthing called apple, sure is hearty !!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

See this is what a hydragia is supposed to look like mine I think they mixed it with some other plant and sold it as a hydrangia mine gets flowers in a ring not in the bushy heads like yours. They are so beautiful when the are true hydrangia plants! I will try to post a pic tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM

snow on the mountain took over the whole flower bed pull it out every spring. Previous owner morning glory vine good grief after 20 yrs still fighting it chokes the life out of everything even my tall grass
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Japanese lanterns....the owners before us planted it. We've pulled it out several times, as have our neighbors next door on both sides of us....very annoying.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Lamb's Ears.............I used to LOVE them - 'have given plants to so many people, dug all that I had left out, but noooooooooo - came back with a vengence............I give up