Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Every mothers nightmare...and grandma >

Every mothers nightmare...and grandma

Every mothers nightmare...and grandma

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM

WOW, sweet, love Harleys. My DB has one and I have never rode it!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MoMoSews
My son finally had his dream come true and got a used Harley. Bad part is my grandson is very impressed!!!
:-( :-( :-(
I can certainly relate - my grandson started out loving motorcycles, but quickly switched to drag racing, & now my grt-grandson is already in love w/anything that has wheels.

The 1st pic is of his 1st car several years ago, the 2nd is his son anxious to "try out" the new one he got. The 3rd is doing what he loves most.

All I can do is support him (his biggest fan) & of course he is ALWAYS #1 on my daily prayer list.

1st race car
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215215[/ATTACH]

His son anxious to try out dads new ride
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215216[/ATTACH]

Doing what he loves
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215217[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215209.jpe   attachment-215210.jpe   attachment-215211.jpe  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Just throw an absolute fit for him to set the example for his son to always wear protective gear, even leathers. Proper gear has saved many lives in motorcycle accidents. Every time I see a rider with no protective gear on I think how sad stubbornness will probably bring so much pain to the family.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM

My sons never wanted one . My brother had one yrs. ago and I have a scar on the inside of my leg from the exhaust pipe. Have never ridden on one since!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Everyone in our family rides that is old enough to have a license. That started 3 years ago. I, at 59 went and got my learners and rode all that summer but chickend out when it came to do the skills test. Mentally I wasn't up to riding last summer and haven't bothered to go this year. Maybe next year at 62. I like driving it but prefer to ride behind my hubby, then I can look around more. Ha, ha.
Grandson is old enough now and want to get his license. Have to see if his mom says it's ok.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
Be sure to remind that son that he's not allowed to ride in sandals!!!! And to remember two things while he's on the road:

Drive like everyone in a car is going to try to kill him before he gets home.

And he has people depending on him to make it home in one piece.
Great advice! Although I've loved motorcycles since I had my first ride on the back of my BIL-to-be's when I was 10, I just got my license and started riding my own 6 years ago. The co-worker who encouraged me stressed laalaaquilter's first point and insisted on all the safety gear (full-face helmet, armored jacket, motorcycle boots). When I see guys (even Harley riders!) in shorts and sandals, I figure they don't care if they end up bearing road rash scars for life, but I DO!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM

My DH wants a motorcycle also. But he will get one only over my dead body. LOL!! DH would be completely stupid on one and end up hurting himself or someone.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 AM

my condolences(!) every time my husband starts making those motorcycle owning noises the worry meter shoots up!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM

I started with a Suzuki but it was chain drive and I told my DH that was undignified for an AVON lady to have chain lube all over her pants. That's when I got my Honda Gold Wing 1000. I put 50,000 miles on it, then got an Aspencade 1100cc. Really enjoyed riding and selling Avon with it - got me lots of customers.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I have been around bikes my whole adult life and I really don't worry. My husband started riding dirt bikes when he was eight years old, and quickly went on to racing. He raced motocross for awhile when we were first married, but it was so expensive and with a family he gave it up for awhile. Later when the kids were teens he got a Harley for commuting. It was broke down more then running so I traded it in for a BMW motorcycle. That bike was a dream ride. The Harley guys at his work called him 007 or Bond. He loved that bike and we saved us a lot of money. He sold the bike when our son decided to start racing bikes, but for him it was bicycles. We gave him a choice and he liked the the BMX stuff, so that was great and cheaper.
Then a few years ago my son and my husband got back into street bikes, but this time it was sport bikes. My son had never ridden so I did worry about him a bit, but with his dads guidance he became a great rider. They both loved going out together and riding. I thought it was great. But then my son and his wife had a kid and the bikes were sold since there just was not time anymore.

But worry? Not really. But they were also under strict rules not to tell me if they did anything stupid. I did not need or want to know. I worry more about my sons daily job then him riding on the street or anywhere else. He is a lineman, and that scares me to death. But I can not wrap him in bubble wrap and protect him, so I have to suck it up.