Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
everything but the kitchen sink ;) >

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM

When we redid our kitchen, I took the oven rack to the kitchen place with me to audition sinks. Now I can soak the racks overnight to get them clean. It also hold my biggest pots and pans. It is also deep, but easy to reach the bottom of. I thought I wanted a double sink but found I could put a dishpan in the sink and use that for rinsing or draining. It is stainless steel and these days it pays to check and make sure a magnet does not stick to it. Magnets don't stick to real stainless steel and you run the risk of rust with a poor grade. I grew up with a porcelain sink and this house had one as well until the remodel. As they age, I have found it necessary to use bleach to clean out the stains. I have lost so many blouses to bleach stains. The only thing I would do differently is to move the faucet back further from the sink. Water is always splattering on the counter just in front of the sink. Mr Clean Magic Erasor shines up the stainless like.....magic.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:08 AM

When we bought our house we had a sink with a small side and other side was large. I definitely did not like it at all. We did a small renovation and I got a sink that is equal sides and love it.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
we are planning a small kitchen redo this winter. Looking at sinks, I'm thinking I'd like one that has a large side and a small side, can think of many times over the years when this would have been handy.

I'm right handed and in my convoluted way am thinking the larger side should be on the left. But can't support my idea with any good reason.

Can anyone smarter than me (I can't even think how to pose it to google!) tell me if one way is a better idea than the other?
I have this sort of sink. Mine is from Ikea and has an attached stainless steel drain board. It can with the drain board to the right or left, but the small bowl was between the big bowl and the drain board. Due to my stove being immediately to the right of my sink, the large bowl is on the right, the small one to the left and the drainboard on the left. The smaller bowl is also shallower.

At the cottage we have a similar set up, but my brother bought the sinks with two regular sized bowls. Drain board attached the drain board is to the right. I do not notice a difference doing dishes left to right at the cottage or right to left at home. I am right handed.

I worked in catering and in commercial kitchens and have used dish puts set up in both directions, so it does not bother me to switch back and forth.

Mum, who is also right handed has always primarily used the left bowl of her sinks. She usually puts the dish rack in the right hand one.

I love the attached drain board. Easy to keep clean, a safe spot to place hot pots and pans.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:16 PM

It sounds like from your description of sink use, you may be happiest with the larger sink on the side that is closest to the dishwasher.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

In MN, the dirty dishes are in the left sink - rinsing is in the right sink - drain board and rack to the right.

In FL, the dirty dishes are in the right sink - rinsing is in the left sink - drain board and rack to the left.

Does not seem to make much difference in handling the dishes.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 PM

When I did my kitchen, I had the designer pulling his hair out. I am a lefty, so wash dishes from right to left..I wanted my dishwasher on the left of my sink..he pitched a fit and told me I'd never be able to sell the house if I did that! I found out later he wanted to put the pics of his design into some designer contest, and that's why the fit. Point is..your kitchen, put everything where it's comfortable for you. I am now in the process of swapping my sink, as it is the only part of my kitchen that I don't like..it's a white composite sink, and impossible to keep white..it attracts stains from everywhere...so out it goes.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:55 PM

I looked at composites yesterday Donna, because I thought it might be fun to have a colored sink, but they felt rough, and looked matt finished. As a confirmed FlyLady, I realized a shiny sink is part of who I am
Old 11-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Our double sink has the larger side on the left, as I face the sink. The right side is smaller than the left, but not a "small" sink. Disposal is in the right side. The dishwasher is also on the left. It is white porcelain. I like to be able to soak large pans, bowls, etc. in soapy water and rinse in the smaller side. I, too, like to be able to scrub the sink with a bleach containing cleanser and have it come out bright and shiny. This is the second sink like this we have purchased. We've been in this house along time so have remodeled kitchen twice.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:45 PM

I have remodeled kitchens in 3 houses -- I prefer stainless sinks because I tend to chip porcelain . I wound up doing my own redesign because I got tired of fighting with designers over what would work for me. In my first remodel, I did not have much room so I replaced a single sink with a large+small double sink - it was OK but the small side was only good for putting stuff in the garbage disposal and because of the size I could not rinse anything very big in it. My second remodel had a lot of room (and custom cabinets) and I got a double sink that had one large deep side on the right and one shallow side (the garbage disposal in the shallow side). I loved that sink. This house had to be a cheap, fast remodel and I was restricted in the size of my sink by the size of the cabinets so I got a double sink that has the same side sinks - they are OK but I wish they were bigger. I am glad I got the double. I am right handed but both sinks have had the left sink for washing, the right sink for rinsing and garbage disposal and dishwasher on the right.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:50 PM

A sink change out two years ago and one large sink here. It's stainless with a grid in the bottom.

I had a 70/30 split sink. The small one was ok for a quick rinse but not much else.

Go for one large sink. You can always use a small basin if needed. I use a strainer to wash fruits and vegs.