Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
everything but the kitchen sink ;) >

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 PM

I have a double sink (with both sides about the same size) and a built in stainless steel drainboard - I saw this years ago in New Zealand, and hunted until I found one here.
We're intending to re-do our kitchen in 2020 and my design will include this sink I love it that much....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-04-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: invalid link
Old 11-04-2019, 04:54 PM

When I replaced my kitchen sink, I got a stainless one with two equal sized sinks, and they are butterfly shaped in the back, the part closest to the wall. I love this sink! That bumped out part makes it possible to wash (in one sink ) and rinse (in the other sink) super large items because they will fit diagonally into the bumped out "wing". It's a shape you should consider.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM

I have an extra deep sink and both sinks are the same size but the left side has a curve like place in it so if you put a skillet in the sink the handle fist in that corner.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
When I did my kitchen, I had the designer pulling his hair out. I am a lefty, so wash dishes from right to left..I wanted my dishwasher on the left of my sink..he pitched a fit and told me I'd never be able to sell the house if I did that! I found out later he wanted to put the pics of his design into some designer contest, and that's why the fit. Point is..your kitchen, put everything where it's comfortable for you. I am now in the process of swapping my sink, as it is the only part of my kitchen that I don't like..it's a white composite sink, and impossible to keep white..it attracts stains from everywhere...so out it goes.
Gee, my dishwasher is to the left of my sink, and I am right handed. I never gave it a thought, it was the only place I could fit it in my kitchen. My stove is 6 inches away from my sink on the right, so it is a pain as there is no place to stack dishes before washing them, except on the top of the stove.

When Mum and Dad built a house the dishwasher was to the left of the sink too.

I plan to put a dishwasher in the cottage this winter, over my brother's wishes (he does not do dishes). The only place for it is unconventional, but so be it. It will be on the outside of the L of the counter, facing the dining room. It will be a bit of a pain for unloading, but we can put the dishes onto the counter and then walk around the L and put them away. Down the road we may redo the kitchen, but for now it will fit in this space.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 AM

I have a double sink and I love it. It is stainless steel and easy to clean, etc. I am a lefty and the larger size is on the left. Small side has the disposal and my dishwasher is on the right side. This works well for me and I would do that again if I ever move.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 AM

We have a single, s/s sink and I love it! When we put an addition on our house 30 yrs ago, this is the same sink that had been in the previous kitchen. I can fit just about anything in the sink and it (still!) cleans up beautifully. When I've used the different sized double sinks either at friends or vacation rentals I get very frustrated with not being able to fit large pots & pans in either sink. I'll keep my single bowl, stainless steel sink every day of the week!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 AM

I've had the same sink and a half (small side on the right) for two kitchens. I loved it; DH hated it - but then I was the one doing the dishes....
A the dishwasher is on the right too.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:05 AM

When redoing our kitchen a couple years ago, after much research, we chose a Kohler Prolific sink. It is a very large undermount sink which is quite deep and about 33" wide. It is wonderful!!! They used to have a great video of it on their website--not sure if it is still there. Our kitchen is not large, but the sink works because we designed the kitchen around the sink.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 AM

This makes me think of something. We've lived in a townhome for a year now and one thing that is very awkward for me is the placement of the spray faucet. I am left-handed and the spray thingy is on the right side of the other faucets meaning I have to use my right hand to use it and that is very very awkward for me. Any other lefties out there have this problem?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:42 AM

gosh, such great reasoning for everything. I never thought about the smaller side reasoning to be in order to fit in a garbage disposal. We wouldn't do that, we have a septic tank for one thing, and have a compost bin which is gold for the garden.
I saw the rounded/butterfly backs and marked them off as just a design element...never crossed my mind they were a brilliant solution to larger size in the same space.
I'm really leaning toward arguing for a stainless steel w/magic eraser cleaning

bercedes! I'm honored you've been here since 2012 and made your first post here. Please don't be a stranger to the board!