Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Exchange student from Sweden

Swedes, urbanites especially, have been students of English since the time my Swedish grandparents emigrated to U.S. in the late 1800's. It's a relatively small country population-wise and you are so blessed to share your home and community with this student. Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you all are doing.

I have no input about Sweden but we had two exchange students from Brazil a few years ago, loved it. One now lives in KY and we keep in touch often. Have fun and enjoy. We also still keep in touch with the first one that went back to Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    We've hosted 18 exchange students. Seventeen of them were WONDERFUL. Each one, including #18, brought new joys into our home. Even though we selected students with family compatibility, once they got here, and involved with other students, they did less of the things we thought we'd share. However, we shared their new things with them, and learned even more. It's a life enriching experience. Enjoy.
    Wow you've had lots of exchange students. Cool. Where were they from? This is my second. Last year I had one from Austria and this year Sweden. The one from Austria was extremely lazy (has a maid at home) but other than that she was great. I enjoyed taking her on trips. She had a map and marked all the places we went. Even though we are in such a small town she made lots of friends and really enjoyed her stay.
    I would like to get one from Australia but their school year is different than ours. I would have to get one in January (I think its Jan.) and they'd do a 1/2 year of one school year and be here all summer then to the first 1/2 of the next year. I have 2 spare bedrooms so I'm going to check into it further with my coordinator. Have you had one from Australia? I can't wait for Siri (from Sweden) to get here. I'm not sure when that will be yet. I'm getting excited. I have her on Facebook so its been fun chatting with her. We don't have other kids here so they are only children (besides my dogs) when they come. Norina (from Austria) enjoyed all the attention :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Polliwog
    Swedes, urbanites especially, have been students of English since the time my Swedish grandparents emigrated to U.S. in the late 1800's. It's a relatively small country population-wise and you are so blessed to share your home and community with this student. Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you all are doing.
    I will do that. She is from Stockholm which is the largest town there. I couldn't believe the population there. I've been looking at pictures from there and it sure is beautiful. I might have to take a trip over there. I'll share pictures on this post when she arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by MadP
    I have no input about Sweden but we had two exchange students from Brazil a few years ago, loved it. One now lives in KY and we keep in touch often. Have fun and enjoy. We also still keep in touch with the first one that went back to Brazil.
    We've have a few others in town from Brazil and I really thought about getting one from there this year but this one in Sweden came up and she sounded really good. One of her comments was she's funny and has a great sense of humor.
    How could I resist that :lol: You have to have a sense of humor to put up with me :mrgreen: And her favorite pet is dogs. She does not have pets at home so she'll be in for treat here. Thats great you keep in touch with your exchange students. Thats why I love Facebook. Easy to keep in touch.
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    We've hosted 18 exchange students. Seventeen of them were WONDERFUL. Each one, including #18, brought new joys into our home. Even though we selected students with family compatibility, once they got here, and involved with other students, they did less of the things we thought we'd share. However, we shared their new things with them, and learned even more. It's a life enriching experience. Enjoy.
    Wow you've had lots of exchange students. Cool. Where were they from? This is my second. Last year I had one from Austria and this year Sweden. The one from Austria was extremely lazy (has a maid at home) but other than that she was great. I enjoyed taking her on trips. She had a map and marked all the places we went. Even though we are in such a small town she made lots of friends and really enjoyed her stay.
    I would like to get one from Australia but their school year is different than ours. I would have to get one in January (I think its Jan.) and they'd do a 1/2 year of one school year and be here all summer then to the first 1/2 of the next year. I have 2 spare bedrooms so I'm going to check into it further with my coordinator. Have you had one from Australia? I can't wait for Siri (from Sweden) to get here. I'm not sure when that will be yet. I'm getting excited. I have her on Facebook so its been fun chatting with her. We don't have other kids here so they are only children (besides my dogs) when they come. Norina (from Austria) enjoyed all the attention :thumbup:
    Several from Germany, all parts, including a couple from the former East, Croatia, Ukraine, Moldova, Poland, that general area. Our girl from Moldova is a boomerang. She came back to go to college. She'll graduate in two more semesters. She has stayed on the Dean's list, and is Phi Kappa Phi. Majoring in Political Science and Anthropology, thinking seriously about Law at Duke. (She wants Hillary Clinton's job, seriously - she could probably do it.) Missed the luck of the draw last week with the Green Card Lottery. She really needs a job for the year before grad school to give her mind a little break. Any kind of practicum in any of those fields would make her extremely happy. Something in International relations. The struggle we're all having is that she doesn't have that Green Card. But such a pleasure to see the girl we hosted, in High School, from a poverty nation, turning out to be such a professional young woman.

Went to Germany last summer for the marriage of #7 son, and visited with several of our other "children", meeting our "grand children" for the first time. Have an opportunity to go to a conference in the Check Republic in two years, which will give us an opportunity to see several of the other "kids" and their families. Conference - great excuse for a tax deduction.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I'm sure you will have a great time with your student. We had 3 Japanese students for a "home stay" program for 3 summers and we enjoyed getting to know them and taking them around Seattle to see the sights. Our son went over there under the same program when he was 15. He loved it.

This will be a great and rewarding experience for you and your family. As a former student coordinator for a Scandinavian exchange service I placed many students in our area for a school year. Almost all of the students and families had a great and rewarding experience.

Our family has hosted 2 Sweedish girls for a school year as wells as 2 Russians and one Costa Ricaian for 2 week periods. The Sweedish girls spoke excellent English as they take English startng in 3rd grade.

My best advice for you is keep your girl busy. Take her to as many places as you can and let her experience as much of America and our culutre. I live a small town of about 300 so we also had a 45 minute drive to a mall. As time went on doing things at school and with their friends was more imporant that shopping at the mall...especially since we were behind Eurpoe in fashion. (At least our local mall was.)

Good luck :)

Several from Germany, all parts, including a couple from the former East, Croatia, Ukraine, Moldova, Poland, that general area. Our girl from Moldova is a boomerang. She came back to go to college. She'll graduate in two more semesters. She has stayed on the Dean's list, and is Phi Kappa Phi. Majoring in Political Science and Anthropology, thinking seriously about Law at Duke. (She wants Hillary Clinton's job, seriously - she could probably do it.) Missed the luck of the draw last week with the Green Card Lottery. She really needs a job for the year before grad school to give her mind a little break. Any kind of practicum in any of those fields would make her extremely happy. Something in International relations. The struggle we're all having is that she doesn't have that Green Card. But such a pleasure to see the girl we hosted, in High School, from a poverty nation, turning out to be such a professional young woman.

Went to Germany last summer for the marriage of #7 son, and visited with several of our other "children", meeting our "grand children" for the first time. Have an opportunity to go to a conference in the Check Republic in two years, which will give us an opportunity to see several of the other "kids" and their families. Conference - great excuse for a tax deduction.
    Holy cow. What a great story about your Moldova girl. I love to hear that someone can come from such a background and want more out of life and goes for it. She went full steam ahead. I hope she does get Hillary's job. Sounds like she'd be good at it. Wonderful. I'm so glad you get to go to Check Republic. My Austrian girl was about 1/2 mile from that border.
    What fun. I've not been there but maybe someday. I'm in Washington State so it would be a loooong flight. Wish I could go with ya. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K.
    I'm sure you will have a great time with your student. We had 3 Japanese students for a "home stay" program for 3 summers and we enjoyed getting to know them and taking them around Seattle to see the sights. Our son went over there under the same program when he was 15. He loved it.
    HI Linda. Where are you in Washington? I have family in the Seattle area so I'm going to be taking her there. Beings Snoqualamie Pass is such a mess we will go Chinook Pass to see Mt. Rainier. My mom lives up the Chinook Pass out of Naches up by Whistling Jacks so of course we'll have to stop for a visit there. I'm really hoping she gets here early before school starts so we can work all this in before it starts. I'm really liking this exchange student stuff. Its so much fun to take them sight seeing. I wish gas prices would go down. Lots of travels in the future. Glad you had such a good experience.
    Are you going to do it again? My brother in law is the coordinator at Green River College in Kent. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sewing grammie
    This will be a great and rewarding experience for you and your family. As a former student coordinator for a Scandinavian exchange service I placed many students in our area for a school year. Almost all of the students and families had a great and rewarding experience.

Our family has hosted 2 Sweedish girls for a school year as wells as 2 Russians and one Costa Ricaian for 2 week periods. The Sweedish girls spoke excellent English as they take English startng in 3rd grade.

My best advice for you is keep your girl busy. Take her to as many places as you can and let her experience as much of America and our culutre. I live a small town of about 300 so we also had a 45 minute drive to a mall. As time went on doing things at school and with their friends was more imporant that shopping at the mall...especially since we were behind Eurpoe in fashion. (At least our local mall was.)

Good luck :)
    Thanks sewing grammie. I sure plan on keeping her busy. Thats what I enjoy about this. When my Austrian girl came it was nice to go to all those places around here that are here but when they are so close you never go. I grew up around Mt. Rainier but hadn't been there in so long it was nice to visit again and take someone there that has never been. I didn't make it to Mt. St. Helens with her but plan to with Siri. She did go there at the end of her trip here with her mom though. Her mom came and spent 5 days here before leaving. Good to know they learn English at such a young age. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Will look forward to sharing all of your adventures and experiences.

I have a friend who is from Sweden. She lives near Stockholm. I met her on a message board years ago. She, along with her SO, came to vist us in 2003. She spoke good English, where he was more limited & required her to translate for him. They loved it here. They had visited Florida in the late 90's.

Knitting & crocheting are a big craft thing in Sweden. My friend doesn't sew, so no quilting. I taught her to make Dream Catchers while they were here.

Their country is small, about the size of Texas. Many do allot of water sports, trips on cruise ships, etc. They do 1-2 day cruises allot. When my friends came we had pre-chose things to see & do. Things they would never see at home, like take an Amish buggy ride, tour the Harley Davidson factory, etc. We toured as much of our state as we could in 9 days. We put 2600 miles on my car! We did do a down-day so they could get over the jet lag. Their flight here was a good 10 hours long.

Some foods they loved, while others they hated. I think her SO tried about every soda, juice, sports drink we have, LOL. He loved to try new things. Oh one thing to keep in mind.....we have words for things that are the same, but the thing is different. So before letting you student order food at a restaurant make sure she understands what it is she is ordering.

They mind the heat, so your student may require a fan or AC.

My friend brought us a book on the history of Sweden. They have a little red horse as part of their culture. You could maybe take that & use it in a quilt, placemats, ornament.

Info on the "Dala" horse:
    http://www.svenskhyllningsfest.org/dala_horse.htm

http://itotd.com/articles/599/the-dalahaest/

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3
    I have a friend who is from Sweden. She lives near Stockholm. I met her on a message board years ago. She, along with her SO, came to vist us in 2003. She spoke good English, where he was more limited & required her to translate for him. They loved it here. They had visited Florida in the late 90's.

Knitting & crocheting are a big craft thing in Sweden. My friend doesn't sew, so no quilting. I taught her to make Dream Catchers while they were here.

Their country is small, about the size of Texas. Many do allot of water sports, trips on cruise ships, etc. They do 1-2 day cruises allot. When my friends came we had pre-chose things to see & do. Things they would never see at home, like take an Amish buggy ride, tour the Harley Davidson factory, etc. We toured as much of our state as we could in 9 days. We put 2600 miles on my car! We did do a down-day so they could get over the jet lag. Their flight here was a good 10 hours long.

Some foods they loved, while others they hated. I think her SO tried about every soda, juice, sports drink we have, LOL. He loved to try new things. Oh one thing to keep in mind.....we have words for things that are the same, but the thing is different. So before letting you student order food at a restaurant make sure she understands what it is she is ordering.

They mind the heat, so your student may require a fan or AC.

My friend brought us a book on the history of Sweden. They have a little red horse as part of their culture. You could maybe take that & use it in a quilt, placemats, ornament.

Info on the "Dala" horse:
    http://www.svenskhyllningsfest.org/dala_horse.htm

http://itotd.com/articles/599/the-dalahaest/
    Thanks Feather3. Some great info. I'd not heard of the Dala Horse before. Quite the article on it. I'll see if I can find a picture of it to print for quilt blocks. What a great idea. Her favorite animal (besides dogs) was Giraffes. I ordered 2 patterns of Giraffes so I could put 1 on her bedroom wall.
    My last exchange student took my Bargello American Flag so of course I better make another for Siri. Or wait so she can make her own. I just hope she wants to learn how. She said she did.
    I hope she doesn't mind the lack of water here. There are seas of wheat fields. :shock:
    Maybe I should come visit you. I'd love to see Amish country.
    I helped a guy on a Harley a few years ago and beings I rode motorcycles he lived by the Harley factory and sent me all kinds
    of stuff from there. That would be fun too. Sounds like you gave them quite the site seeing trip. Something they will always treasure. 10 hour flight to you will be 13 here. :?
    Well thanks for taking the time for all the info and I'm going to go play around in all these wonderful sites.
    Thanks and thanks to everyone posting and taking the time out to help me. I think I'll be well equiped now. :thumbup:

We have Norwegian friends and the prices for many things are much cheaper here now that there...that is why she wants the mall! They come here and stock up on as many things as they can carry home.

It sounds like you will have a lot fun together...that will be a great learning experience for both of you! ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    We have Norwegian friends and the prices for many things are much cheaper here now that there...that is why she wants the mall! They come here and stock up on as many things as they can carry home.

It sounds like you will have a lot fun together...that will be a great learning experience for both of you! ENJOY!
    Thanks. I hear the sneakers are a big hit for em here. Also jeans. It will be interesting. :thumbup: I'll enjoy every minute of it. :thumbup:

Keep us posted, this has been interesting ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by auntiehenno
    Keep us posted, this has been interesting ladies.
    Yes, I will keep you posted. I hope to find out soon when she'll be here. :thumbup:

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K.
    HI Linda. Where are you in Washington? I have family in the Seattle area so I'm going to be taking her there. Beings Snoqualamie Pass is such a mess we will go Chinook Pass to see Mt. Rainier. My mom lives up the Chinook Pass out of Naches up by Whistling Jacks so of course we'll have to stop for a visit there. I'm really hoping she gets here early before school starts so we can work all this in before it starts. I'm really liking this exchange student stuff. Its so much fun to take them sight seeing. I wish gas prices would go down. Lots of travels in the future. Glad you had such a good experience.
    Are you going to do it again? My brother in law is the coordinator at Green River College in Kent. :thumbup:
    We are in the Lake Goodwin area north of Everett. We lived in South Everett at the time we had the 3 students over the 3 year period. It was in the mid-80s but we don't do it now - we are retired. It was fun and we really enjoyed it. The first student really enjoyed a day on Mt. Rainier. You mentioned in another post about jeans and such. We gave the 3rd student a Levi's jacket when he was leaving and he loved it! They do love the brand name items like that. Of course, it's hard to find "made in America" things even tho they are brand names associated with the USA. Is it the construction in the pass you are referring to? I want to head over to Spokane in either Aug for the Buggy Barn show or in Oct for the Spokane quilt show. It's been since last Oct that I went over the pass so don't know what kind of traffic mess to face. It wasn't too bad last year.

Sweden is like New England. The swedes speak good english. They are very much like us. Most towns there are small and it is a culture that appreciates arts and crafts
    like quilting. They have interesting christmas customs.
    You will appreciate their sense of humor....(Think Minnesota!)

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    Sweden is like New England. The swedes speak good english. They are very much like us. Most towns there are small and it is a culture that appreciates arts and crafts
    like quilting. They have interesting christmas customs.
    You will appreciate their sense of humor....(Think Minnesota!)
    Thats great to know. Glad its an arts and crafts country. She'll fit right in here. She didn't know what quilting was so she looked it up and said she liked it. So I"m not sure if she ment the English word or really didn't know what quilting was. Guess I'll soon find out. Last I heard they'll be flying out the 16th 17th
    or 18th. I hope to find out this week. Hopefully the 16th.
    She did say her favorite holiday is Christmas so I'm hoping we'll both learn new ways. Also I read that Halloween they all dress as witches. Hmmm. So much for my dog costume this year. :shock: She did put she had a good sense of humor.
    To put up with me that long she'll need it.
    :mrgreen: I haven't been around to many Swedes. Or any at all for that matter that I know of. All this info is coming in handy. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2